A&H

Can the referee wear the same colour shirt as a goalkeeper?

Gordy

Ive had different reports on this one, but it did happen tonight in the man utd v stoke game tonight.

The Referee Store
Well if they did it in the prem.... Dont think it should be allowed and in the top leagues I think it's the refs fault as he (I think) has a number of different coloured tops. At lower league kit manufacture should know not to make black (within reason) kits

Hi
It should not happen particularly if the referee and the GK could be confused on the FOP. Sometimes it is just forgot about or the options are limited such as a clash with opponents or the opposing GK

Think the question should be, can the goalkeeper wear the same coloured shirt as the Referee. After al the Referee has the power to ask him to change. It maybe in the Premier League that there isnt a practical change but honestly I think that sort of stuff should be sorted at the start of the season.

Ian - White Tape around the socks will stop from next season if its approved next month at the IFAB meeting

I've seen a referee almost abandon a game due to a kit clash. Team were wearing black and provided the referee with a bib to wear. Referee refused to wear the bib and made the team change, although reluctant to at first. Referee threatened to abandon, he delayed the kick off to allow them to travel home and get the second kit.

Clash of colours is carefully considered at national list level and fives colours are decided in order of precedence. Home, Away, Home GK, Away GK and fifth colour is match officials. Our colleagues are encouraged to wear Black when ever possible but also have Blue, Yellow and Fusion Orange (pink). The rest of us simply must wear black as written in the regulations. Hope this little piece of info helps.

Hello all. This is my first post after joining, as a fan, not an official, although I used to ref at Rugby Union. I was under the impression that as stated in the laws (Law 4: Each goalkeeper must wear colours that distinguish him from the other players, the referee and the assistant referees) that the goalkeeper must change his shirt if there's a clash with the ref, and that was universal throughout the game at all levels. I saw recently in a junior game up the road from me a goalkeeper wearing a coloured bib over his black shirt as the ref was wearing black.

It's difficult this, having spoken to an FL assessor. He said that as players/gk's are allowed to wear black and that the referee's can change into colour, if a referee decides on black and then a gk is in black, it more often than not stays as it is. A Level One referee said to me only a few weeks ago that if he gets a teamsheet and one keeper is in black, he gets them to change the colour to 'charcoal'.

The problem comes lower down as if you're a 7-6/6-5/5-4 candidate, assessors will pick you up on that and dock you marks.

If doing Sat/Sun league and being assessed, you should ensure the GK changes his kit.

Hope that helps

Well then they didn't come prepared. He cannot wear the same uniform colour as you. Surely, the league knows the colours of uniforms prior to the match and it should've been dealt with at that level.

But at the top level, they're allowed. If all four colours are worn, referees are told to clash with a GK.

They're not "allowed" at any level; the Laws of the Game clearly prohibit it and, frankly, if we can't get them to follow the really simple ones, how can we get them to follow the more dicey ones?

The LotG have a very specific section which says which laws the competition rules can overrule and Player's Equipment is not one of them; furthermore, I'd be buggered if I've ever seen a set of competition rules that say that the GK can wear the same colour as the ref.

I've not seem it either, but it happens at the top level which frustrates the hell out of me, as it makes it difficult to enforce at grass roots

I've not seem it either, but it happens at the top level which frustrates the hell out of me, as it makes it difficult to enforce at grass roots
Yes, it's certainly not going to be your most popular decision and it won't make you many friends from the get-go, but it is the right decision and the one we ought to make.

Back