A&H

Can the referee wear the same colour shirt as a goalkeeper?

If I'm being assessed, GK is told in no uncertain terms that he won't be playing in a kit that clashes. If I'm not being assessed, I ask if he has another shirt. If not I let him play but tell him he shouldn't clash and next time he will change.

The Referee Store
You change your game for the sake of assessment? That flies in the face of the purpose of assessment which is to tell you how you're doing and what to improve on.

Not change my game. I referee the same way. Think the only thing I do is allow a GK to wear dark as it saves time and gets the game going

So long as that's the only thing, I can't see it as a big deal. I mean, you ought to require him to change but if you don't, it likely isn't going to cause a major riff. We have some colleagues from around my parts who are totally different referees when getting assessed. It's a bit of a sore spot really.

I think the little 'silly' things that don't affect the game are unnecessary on games non-assessment. When being assessed, they want the extra little things, so I do them!

As others have said, technically no but in the end it is going to come down to you, the match you are doing and if you are being accessed. If being accessed you are likely to want to go by the letter of the law, if not then you can be more relaxed about it, your choice in the end.

This has not been a problem for me to date - at grass roots level, the referee is in black and players cannot wear black. If a goalkeeper turned up in a black top I would ask him to change. If he had nothing else then I would let him continue but would let the league referees' secretary know afterwards.

What if your being assessed and you were black and the keeper is in black and he has nothing to change into. What do you do???

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I still think common sense has to prevail. I'd probably still allow it, I'd make it perfectly known that I'm not happy about it and that I'd be reporting it

I do my best to ensure he changes. If he has nothing to change into, I ask him to wear a bib. If he won't wear a bib, I let him play but inform him, his captain, his manager and any club representative there that I will be informing the league and their respective FA of the situation. I then explain the situation (as quickly as possible) to the assessor. Do not abandon a game because the GK is in black!

Take a refresher on Law 4 'Players Equipment'.
Ideally 5 colours per game - 1) Home team. 2) Away team. 3) Home team GK. 4) Away team GK.
5) Referee.
With exception of the pro game I have never been aware that a competition is allowed to overrule LoTG.
FIFA LoTG says that if goal keepers have the same colour they shall be allowed to play!

On some of my leagues the rulebook say's that ''Neither players, nor goalkeepers shirts shall be of the same color as those of the match officials, who in this league will be wearing black'', so I guess that under those circumstances the GK shouldn't be clashing anyway.

However, in the event that he does, ask him toc hange, if not, let him play and report him.

What about if the GK wears the same color shorts and socks as the rest of his teamates, opposition or you?

Back