A&H

Careless vs reckless

MumRef

Hello all. I'm finding this forum very helpful so thank you to those who moderate it. This has possibly been covered before, but as I have my first U16 match this Saturday (having done a grand total of 2 x U13s then all U12s before that), please could you give me some pointers as to how you judge when a careless tackle becomes reckless? Or when any of the other DFKs become cards as well - eg jumps at, pushes, strikes, trips? Thank you.

The Referee Store
Hello all. I'm finding this forum very helpful so thank you to those who moderate it. This has possibly been covered before, but as I have my first U16 match this Saturday (having done a grand total of 2 x U13s then all U12s before that), please could you give me some pointers as to how you judge when a careless tackle becomes reckless? Or when any of the other DFKs become cards as well - eg jumps at, pushes, strikes, trips? Thank yo
First thing that you might find helpful is giving the laws of the game a reread (Law 12):
and

Edit:
So if we start by looking at the two definitions and try and pick out the differences between the two this can give us an indictator:
1666083124109.png
So with careless it is like an tackle there is been no intent to commit a foul, but a foul has been commited in the process of trying to acquire the ball. Whilst with reckless there is an increase in the amount of force that has been used or how the force has been applied to the situation

Last edited:
First thing that you might find helpful is giving the laws of the game a reread (Law 12):
and

Edit:
So if we start by looking at the two definitions and try and pick out the differences between the two this can give us an indictator:
View attachment 6059
So with careless it is like an tackle there is been no intent to commit a foul, but a foul has been commited in the process of trying to acquire the ball. Whilst with reckless there is an increase in the amount of force that has been used or how the force has been applied to the situation
Thank you for your response. I do keep reading and rereading the rules and I can quote them in my head, and often quote them to the players, but your extra comments there are very helpful in unpacking how to judge in a particular situation. Would you say with reckless that they are prepared to commit a foul to get the ball?

Thank you for your response. I do keep reading and rereading the rules and I can quote them in my head, and often quote them to the players, but your extra comments there are very helpful in unpacking how to judge in a particular situation. Would you say with reckless that they are prepared to commit a foul to get the ball?
Yes, reckless is literally not caring about your opponent's safety, so typically doing something in an attempt to get (or keep) the ball that might cause injury.

A little more information to consider here:

The position of the ball, what are the chances of playing the ball in a fair manner? A tackle may still be considered reckless (or even with excessive force) even though the ball is played. Where contact is made with the ball and opponent at speed and without consideration for the potential danger to the opponent, it should be punished appropriately.

The speed or the intensity of the challenge. Is the player in control of his actions, or is he “off the ground” and out of control when he makes the challenge?

The part of the body used in the challenge. Has the opponent used his studs to cause serious injury to an opponent or does he use his leg or foot to tackle unfairly?

Where on the field of play has the offence taken place, for example, a handball offence can have three different outcomes depending where the offence was committed.

The element of Intent or malice – is the player purely focused on his opponent and with no concern for the position of the ball.

An important thing to also consider is - What does the game expect? / What does the game need? - there may be instances where a foul tackle isn't necessarily a nailed on yellow card, but you need to find one to aid match control - use the framework of the laws of the game and the tools at your disposal to help you control the match.

At that level, I think a good tool is whether your reaction to a contact foul is “oh, crap, that was dangerous and he’s out of control!” That’s when you want to caution. Cautions at this age really find you- you don’t so much have to look for them, as to not ignore them when they reach out and grab you. In my experience at that level, cautions are uncommon—but definitely do get earned from time to time. (Averages are dangerous, but I doubt I caution more than once every 10 games in the 14U games I do.)

The speed or the intensity of the challenge. Is the player in control of his actions, or is he “off the ground” and out of control when he makes the challenge?

The part of the body used in the challenge. Has the opponent used his studs to cause serious injury to an opponent or does he use his leg or foot to tackle unfairly?

I believe the thread is only about differentiating between careless and reckless, whereas the the scenarios you've painted above suggest red rather than yellow (?) :confused:

No offence ... :)

When I started out, I always tried to think about it in terms if playing a game with my mates:
No card (careless): The player didn't mean to foul and was just slow or a somewhat clumsy. Still mates, no harm done.
Yellow (reckless): The player intentionally fouled another player in a low level manner, or done something where they should have known it could injure another player. I'd be wondering about our friendship.
Red: The player either deliberately tries to injure someone or done something pretty serious. We're done. He needs to do some serious grovelling before I play against him again.

A common mistake of mine was to blow the whistle for the foul and forget to think if a caution should follow, so get in to your mind "whistle, any follow up required?"

I believe the thread is only about differentiating between careless and reckless, whereas the the scenarios you've painted above suggest red rather than yellow (?) :confused:

One of the many many complexities with youth football is judging this in a context where players are physically less able to exert force.

So something that seems fast or forceful compared to what normally goes at that level might have our alarm bells going for reds in adult football - but even though it's relatively forceful, it's unlikely to be forceful enough to need red because players are literally less strong and will impact slower than adults might if carrying out similar actions. And obviously, this scales (and not at a consistent rate) as you go up and down the age groups.

My rule of thumb is “what’s my reaction to it?” rather than “what’s player reaction to it?” If I think “ouch” it’s likely to be yellow. If I think “oh s**t” or wince at a challenge that’s likely to be red.

As others have said, age can determine the severity of a challenge and therefore the colour of the card. For example, I did an U16 game on Sunday and the only card (yellow) was a challenge I’d have sent off for in my morning (OA) game. The force would have been harder and the risk greater as a result.

The position of the ball, what are the chances of playing the ball in a fair manner? A tackle may still be considered reckless (or even with excessive force) even though the ball is played. Where contact is made with the ball and opponent at speed and without consideration for the potential danger to the opponent, it should be punished appropriately.

Where on the field of play has the offence taken place, for example, a handball offence can have three different outcomes depending where the offence was committed.

The element of Intent or malice – is the player purely focused on his opponent and with no concern for the position of the ball.

An important thing to also consider is - What does the game expect? / What does the game need? - there may be instances where a foul tackle isn't necessarily a nailed on yellow card, but you need to find one to aid match control - use the framework of the laws of the game and the tools at your disposal to help you control the match.
Thank you very much, this is really helpful.

Yes, I'm hoping I would recognise a red, but I haven't given any cards out so far (only done U12s and below, except for my two U13s this season) but I want to give out a yellow if necessary. But not overreact:yawn:

When I started out, I always tried to think about it in terms if playing a game with my mates:
No card (careless): The player didn't mean to foul and was just slow or a somewhat clumsy. Still mates, no harm done.
Yellow (reckless): The player intentionally fouled another player in a low level manner, or done something where they should have known it could injure another player. I'd be wondering about our friendship.
Red: The player either deliberately tries to injure someone or done something pretty serious. We're done. He needs to do some serious grovelling before I play against him again.

A common mistake of mine was to blow the whistle for the foul and forget to think if a caution should follow, so get in to your mind "whistle, any follow up required?"
Thank you, very helpful.

i found when i ref'd the u16 games, you can see the reckless fairly easily, they're at an age where there will be a couple of 'lads' who want to leave a bit on the opposition, or take chunks out of a rival. for example, tackles through the back of the opponent, getting the ball via pushing or pulling an opponent, 'shoulder barges' that floor the opponent because its a "charge" rather than a battle of strength. you can often tell the intention by eyes on the ball or eyes on the player, especially when the balls in the air for the header, watch for those who aren't looking at the ball and are looking to floor the opponent whilst jumping for the header (harry kane got called out for this dangerous behaviour a while back).

also if a player goes to ground for a slide tackle im already thinking any contact with the player its asking for a yellow because there's a lack of control there and a potential to really hurt someone. obviously don't base your decision on what hasn't happened, if they cleanly get the ball then great lets play on. but if an opponent has had to obviously leap out of the way of a slide tackle with a high foot or studs up then im yellow, because im not having a kid going home with a broken leg if i can help it. you will be met with screams of "I DIDNT TOUCH HIM REF" and all you do it go "if he hadn't of jumped you've of wiped him out, its dangerous, stay on your feet where you can."

don't be having any mouth from them, if they get hormonal and narky with each other i used to just go yellow each, don't care who started it, im not having a bad tackle, and im not having retaliation (aggressive attitude), we are here to play football not scrap. and if they carry on chewing my ear off ill tell them i don't care what they see on the telly and have some respect for the game. on that, if there is a coming together of two players and the ball breaks and play continues, keep one eye on the coming together, just takes one little stamp or one shuv for lads that age to completely lose it.

all of this of course is worse case scenario. ive ref'd some lovely u16 games, where they all wanted to play football and there was no bother, the most trouble i got was a few grunts at some decisions they didnt agree with. good luck!

Thank you very much. Really useful.
i found when i ref'd the u16 games, you can see the reckless fairly easily, they're at an age where there will be a couple of 'lads' who want to leave a bit on the opposition, or take chunks out of a rival. for example, tackles through the back of the opponent, getting the ball via pushing or pulling an opponent, 'shoulder barges' that floor the opponent because its a "charge" rather than a battle of strength. you can often tell the intention by eyes on the ball or eyes on the player, especially when the balls in the air for the header, watch for those who aren't looking at the ball and are looking to floor the opponent whilst jumping for the header (harry kane got called out for this dangerous behaviour a while back).

also if a player goes to ground for a slide tackle im already thinking any contact with the player its asking for a yellow because there's a lack of control there and a potential to really hurt someone. obviously don't base your decision on what hasn't happened, if they cleanly get the ball then great lets play on. but if an opponent has had to obviously leap out of the way of a slide tackle with a high foot or studs up then im yellow, because im not having a kid going home with a broken leg if i can help it. you will be met with screams of "I DIDNT TOUCH HIM REF" and all you do it go "if he hadn't of jumped you've of wiped him out, its dangerous, stay on your feet where you can."

don't be having any mouth from them, if they get hormonal and narky with each other i used to just go yellow each, don't care who started it, im not having a bad tackle, and im not having retaliation (aggressive attitude), we are here to play football not scrap. and if they carry on chewing my ear off ill tell them i don't care what they see on the telly and have some respect for the game. on that, if there is a coming together of two players and the ball breaks and play continues, keep one eye on the coming together, just takes one little stamp or one shuv for lads that age to completely lose it.

all of this of course is worse case scenario. ive ref'd some lovely u16 games, where they all wanted to play football and there was no bother, the most trouble i got was a few grunts at some decisions they didnt agree with. good luck

Couple more:

Treading on the foot hard - easy yellow

Catching the ankle - probably an easy yellow (out of control, more force might mean red)

Arm as a tool (yellow) vs arm as a weapon (red) - especially elbows.

Soft two handed pushes probably careless, but more force and catching someone in the air or off balance might be yellow.

Holding fouls tend to be careless - unless someone is really thrown to the ground for a yellow - but watch for ”blatant holding” - cynical shirt pulling or holding that prevents a breakaway - easy yellow card.

Couple more:

Treading on the foot hard - easy yellow

Catching the ankle - probably an easy yellow (out of control, more force might mean red)

Arm as a tool (yellow) vs arm as a weapon (red) - especially elbows.

Soft two handed pushes probably careless, but more force and catching someone in the air or off balance might be yellow.

Holding fouls tend to be careless - unless someone is really thrown to the ground for a yellow - but watch for ”blatant holding” - cynical shirt pulling or holding that prevents a breakaway - easy yellow card.
Thank you very much for this. Really helpful.

Back