A&H

CFA budget cuts

I agree, and then we wonder why the CFA's side with players/clubs rather than referees at times - they don't want to discourage players/clubs/teams that provide their income.
It's simple. Football can exist without referees. It can't exist without players/clubs/teams

The Referee Store
It's simple. Football can exist without referees. It can't exist without players/clubs/teams
I agree - sort of. Football can exist without "official, trained" referees, but it cannot exist without someone refereeing games - down that route lays chaos. And in my experience, teams/clubs prefer a qualified, independent match official from probably U11's, but definitely U15's all the way through to Vets.

As @Padfoot says, it would be interesting to see what a weekend without referees would look like, although ultimately I suspect at grass roots clubs would just get on with it. If anything, the biggest losers from such an action would be the CFA's: without "official" referees booking/dismissing players, it would be a weekend without fine income! I don't think referees would come out from it too well either - a rather frosty welcome at clubs in subsequent weeks...

Be careful what you wish for. If park football can survive without refs for a week or two why not a season. Remove the need the vast majority of refs. Leave the CFAs to manage no more than 5,000 refs from county upwards. There are about 1,000 level 4's and above, so my estimate is probably not too far off.

The numbers could be culled by more stringent assessment and skills testing. Stop the no lower than 5 demotion for refs who got to a 4, a trapdoor for all. Create a vibrant and fluid promotion ladder.

You'd get a load of refs running games outside the protection of the FA, but no big problem. Charge teams more for participating in the leagues- will make up for lost revenue. Less hassle for CFA, no discipline issues to deal with from the parks.

Jobs a good un-

I wouldn't want this scenario, but it could happen.

Be careful what you wish for. If park football can survive without refs for a week or two why not a season. Remove the need the vast majority of refs. Leave the CFAs to manage no more than 5,000 refs from county upwards. There are about 1,000 level 4's and above, so my estimate is probably not too far off.

The numbers could be culled by more stringent assessment and skills testing. Stop the no lower than 5 demotion for refs who got to a 4, a trapdoor for all. Create a vibrant and fluid promotion ladder.

You'd get a load of refs running games outside the protection of the FA, but no big problem. Charge teams more for participating in the leagues- will make up for lost revenue. Less hassle for CFA, no discipline issues to deal with from the parks.

Jobs a good un-

I wouldn't want this scenario, but it could happen.
Which is exactly why people should not even consider the strike being proposed for March 4/5!

Back