A&H

Cheeky drop ball

SM

The avuncular one
Tough, tight cup game. Clash of heads by half way line, game stopped. Players decide to contest the resulting drop ball (not far from half way) However, the first drop is kicked while still in the air. I decide the players are too excited and this possibly going to be trouble.

I verbally attract both players attention and then quickly drop/throw the ball about a metre past both of them when they are not looking, where there is no player in particular!

One player says "can you do that ref?" I dropped the ball, we got on with the game!

And we got on with the match!

The Referee Store
I had a drop ball in my game today the first one was kicked while in mid aid and the same for the second by the same player. I decided I would give a freekick to the opposition am I allowed to do this?

Sneaky but effective, probably didn't get to much protest because you out witted them:p. I've called them in for the drop ball and then told them just to take a step back at which point I drop the ball immediately, seems to work ok. In fairness I can't remember the last time I had a contested drop ball though.

Reactions: SM
I had a drop ball in my game today the first one was kicked while in mid aid and the same for the second by the same player. I decided I would give a freekick to the opposition am I allowed to do this?
No the ball is not in play until it hits the ground although you could caution for delay of game. That said, did you get away with it when you did it? Players don't know the rules anyway!

Sneaky but effective, probably didn't get to much protest because you out witted them:p. I've called them in for the drop ball and then told them just to take a step back at which point I drop the ball immediately, seems to work ok. In fairness I can't remember the last time I had a contested drop ball though.
First contested drop ball I have had all season. Cup games. Makes players all excited! Great game also - until in the second half the teams unwittingly played ref tennis! You guys know ref tennis?. This is where there is no midfield, just attack and defence and the poor ref sprits back and forth hoping for the ball to go out if play.

I wear a heart rate monitor during my games. First half I burned what it claimed to be 850 kcals (about average for the level of game). Second half 1050! Earned my meagre fee on Saturday!

No the ball is not in play until it hits the ground although you could caution for delay of game. That said, did you get away with it when you did it? Players don't know the rules anyway!

I did infact get away with it. I was however questioned on the restart after offinabus as I stopped a counter attack.

Can't remember the last time I had a contested drop ball either! Nothing like a bit of improvisation, well done! :D

Back