A&H

Chris Wilder Comments

If I was eating a sandwich I would stop when the conversation started, which I suspect is probably what happened anyway.

Can't even begin to think what his complaints might be after tonight's debacle 😂
Think he said they were totally outclassed

The Referee Store
His comments about being told they wouldn't get any decisions should absolutely be investigated. He is implying that someone involved in refereeing told him the officials would favour the other team, he has to justify that otherwise a big and heavy book should be thrown at him.

His comments about an AR eating a sandwich are just laughable. He has gone into their domain, does he think a referee would complain if he went into a team changing room to chase up a team sheet and they were eating pasta? Its the mad ramblings of a manager who knows his team are getting relegated and he is just trying to deflect blame, something Wilder has done all through his career.
Quite agree however if they sanction him without a detailed investigation it will only heighten suspicion so I would expect no resolution for at least a couple of months for a allegation like this.

So, I've just finished a Premier League line, I'm in my dressing room with my fellow officials and have just sank my gnashers into a delicious egg mayo number from M&S when Chris Wilder walks in and starts moaning at the referee (not me).
Do I politely put my sandwich down and wait til he leaves?
Do I ********!! :rolleyes::cool:

Quite agree however if they sanction him without a detailed investigation it will only heighten suspicion so I would expect no resolution for at least a couple of months for a allegation like this.
An investigation into what? A throw away quote in an interview isn't the way you report an allegation of any kind of misconduct, there are formal procedures to go through and I think it is fairly safe to say he won't do that.

So, I've just finished a Premier League line, I'm in my dressing room with my fellow officials and have just sank my gnashers into a delicious egg mayo number from M&S when Chris Wilder walks in and starts moaning at the referee (not me).
Do I politely put my sandwich down and wait til he leaves?
Do I ********!! :rolleyes::cool:
You should have some respect Sonny Jim... Put your sandwich down and stand to attention. Your match fee justifies a frank belittling by someone far more important than you FFS. Even if that egotist is facing the sack for getting humped every week without adding any value whatsoever

Last edited:
An investigation into what? A throw away quote in an interview isn't the way you report an allegation of any kind of misconduct, there are formal procedures to go through and I think it is fairly safe to say he won't do that.
For PR they will probably ask him for comment if not it may be pardon the pun a massive own goal plus it’s a good look.

For PR they will probably ask him for comment if not it may be pardon the pun a massive own goal plus it’s a good look.
That isn't how it works. They can ask for his observations on the comments he made, but that is just to decide whether to charge him or not. For there to be an investigation into alleged referee misconduct there has to be a formal report made through the correct channels.

That isn't how it works. They can ask for his observations on the comments he made, but that is just to decide whether to charge him or not. For there to be an investigation into alleged referee misconduct there has to be a formal report made through the correct channels.
Then the allegations won’t go away just look at the current issues in Boxing they have had to allow trainers to answer honestly about officiating and scorecards to avoid PR nightmare same here.

Then the allegations won’t go away just look at the current issues in Boxing they have had to allow trainers to answer honestly about officiating and scorecards to avoid PR nightmare same here.
There hasn't been an allegation. It is an angry manager after a game spouting off and using the old "a mate of a mate told me ..." nonsense.

Wilder is still entitled to report any allegations via the correct channel. But he won't, and this is something I have seen so many times at grass roots it is unreal. Clubs lose and accuse the referee of misconduct, might be swearing at the players, urinating on the pitch, deliberately cheating, even had accusations of sexual misconduct. As a league we then tell them that we cannot deal with alleged acts of misconduct by match officials and it needs to be made to the CFA, they never, ever follow it up. They don't follow it up because it didn't happen, they were just trying to discredit the referee in the heat of the moment to try and paper over the cracks of their own failures on the pitch.

And guess what. Not one of the clubs that accused the referee of misconduct, and we are talking well into double figures over the years, won the game in question. Go figure.

There hasn't been an allegation. It is an angry manager after a game spouting off and using the old "a mate of a mate told me ..." nonsense.

Wilder is still entitled to report any allegations via the correct channel. But he won't, and this is something I have seen so many times at grass roots it is unreal. Clubs lose and accuse the referee of misconduct, might be swearing at the players, urinating on the pitch, deliberately cheating, even had accusations of sexual misconduct. As a league we then tell them that we cannot deal with alleged acts of misconduct by match officials and it needs to be made to the CFA, they never, ever follow it up. They don't follow it up because it didn't happen, they were just trying to discredit the referee in the heat of the moment to try and paper over the cracks of their own failures on the pitch.

And guess what. Not one of the clubs that accused the referee of misconduct, and we are talking well into double figures over the years, won the game in question. Go figure.
Disagree massively here and sounds very defensive in tone.

His comments about being told they wouldn't get any decisions should absolutely be investigated. He is implying that someone involved in refereeing told him the officials would favour the other team, he has to justify that otherwise a big and heavy book should be thrown at him.

His comments about an AR eating a sandwich are just laughable. He has gone into their domain, does he think a referee would complain if he went into a team changing room to chase up a team sheet and they were eating pasta? Its the mad ramblings of a manager who knows his team are getting relegated and he is just trying to deflect blame, something Wilder has done all through his career.
Disagree about it being something Wilder has done throughout his whole career, but he certainly seems to have gone that way since being sacked from Sheff Utd the first time around, which as a supporter of one of his prior clubs, is very disappointing to see.

Disagree massively here and sounds very defensive in tone.
Disagree with what? Everything I have said is verbatim based on my experience. Clubs made allegations of misconduct, we rightly told them that we as a league can't deal with that and gave them contact details for the referee's parent CFA, they then didn't follow it up.

Disagree about it being something Wilder has done throughout his whole career, but he certainly seems to have gone that way since being sacked from Sheff Utd the first time around, which as a supporter of one of his prior clubs, is very disappointing to see.
Perhaps I am a tad biased as an owl, but I definitely remember him having rants during his previous spell with the blades. Although no doubt not on the same level as the latest one.

Perhaps I am a tad biased as an owl, but I definitely remember him having rants during his previous spell with the blades. Although no doubt not on the same level as the latest one.
He did rant, but at my club (Northampton) it was a rant against the owner that forced his hand to sell us and save us from liquidation. It wasn't usually aimed at officials. Maybe it was this moment that led to him thinking he could rant about who he wants and get away with it 😆

He did rant, but at my club (Northampton) it was a rant against the owner that forced his hand to sell us and save us from liquidation. It wasn't usually aimed at officials. Maybe it was this moment that led to him thinking he could rant about who he wants and get away with it 😆
Yeh, I've never seen/heard him behave like he did in this 'Sandwich Gate'
He's probably feeling desperate (under pressure). Thing is, I agree... the teams at the bottom get the rough end of the stick (their league position and decisions is a 'chicken and egg' scenario), but he obviously let himself down the other day

On the solitary occasion over 20 years that a club did bother to take it to the point where I was charged, the charge was thrown out when their witnesses gave very different accounts and their star witness was someone facing charges himself (from my misconduct reports). They were mildly embarrassed when I was appointed to their league management committee the following season and appointed all their referees after that. Funnily enough, they never complained about a referee during the 6 years I was in post.

Back