A&H

City vs Chelsea

Joshref

Handball shout for Chelsea, not for me, but more surprising how Oliver gave a dead ball, clearly a corner.

Just got back in from Huddersfield basically being relegated, no idea if anything else has happened in this match so far

The Referee Store
I thought that was handball - hand moves towards the ball and it’s away from his body. Hard to argue C&O if everyone’s split on it though.

I thought that was handball - hand moves towards the ball and it’s away from his body. Hard to argue C&O if everyone’s split on it though.
I actually think it is after seeing replay from different angle. Not sure if it’s C and O tho, but poor from Oliver to give goal kick.

Caicedo could have had a second yellow there for me

I think it's a PK because his arm moved into the ball and it probably passes between his arm and body without the movement.

If Oliver doesn't see the touch then it doesn't need to be a clear and obvious error to be reviewed it would come under a potential serious missed incident.
The VAR just has to decide if it was a penalty or not for a review to be initiated.

I think it's a PK because his arm moved into the ball and it probably passes between his arm and body without the movement.
That isn't what the law says though. At the time the ball hit his arm it was in a perfectly expected position for the footballing action being undertaken.

That isn't what the law says though. At the time the ball hit his arm it was in a perfectly expected position for the footballing action being undertaken.
Agree on the law, but which footballing action - could you elaborate?

To me it looked like the wall had broken, the ball was travelling through the gap, and his hand instinctively moved down towards the ball to stop it. The three in the wall all jump and Grealish is the only one of them with his hand away from his body.

Agree on the law, but which footballing action - could you elaborate?

To me it looked like the wall had broken, the ball was travelling through the gap, and his hand instinctively moved down towards the ball to stop it. The three in the wall all jump and Grealish is the only one of them with his hand away from his body.
He had his arm on the shoulder of the person next to him in the wall, he then jumps and as he comes back down his hand falls towards his body, that to me is an entirely natural position. Had he left his arm out horizontal and the ball hit it then I would say penalty, or had his arm gone the other way, i.e. started by his body and come upwards, I would also say penalty. But I just don't see any intentional handling nor the arm not being in an unjustifiable position here.

Like most claims for HB, it's not a HB.
In Law that is
Shame the Pro Game is so inconsistent on an International basis that nobody has any clue what a HB offence looks like

Last edited:
He had his arm on the shoulder of the person next to him in the wall, he then jumps and as he comes back down his hand falls towards his body, that to me is an entirely natural position. Had he left his arm out horizontal and the ball hit it then I would say penalty, or had his arm gone the other way, i.e. started by his body and come upwards, I would also say penalty. But I just don't see any intentional handling nor the arm not being in an unjustifiable position here.

If we're gonna say a defender can have their arm on a teammates shoulder in the wall and then have their arm end up here taking away a massive gap in the wall then it sounds like a pretty good way to make the wall cover more space. How is okay for a stationary player in the wall?

Screenshot_20240420_180654_Chrome.jpg

If we're gonna say a defender can have their arm on a teammates shoulder in the wall and then have their arm end up here taking away a massive gap in the wall then it sounds like a pretty good way to make the wall cover more space. How is okay for a stationary player in the wall?

View attachment 7267
That shot isn't anywhere near when the ball hits the arm though, by the time it hits it is down towards his side, and the contact is so minimal none of the match officials even see it.

Agree it wasn’t enough for a penalty, think it’s another one where if it had been given you’d perhaps not see it overturned either.
What some of football will find hard to understand, but we know the reason for, is that by telling Oliver they were checking for potential handball, everyone is acknowledging it came off the wall, but then restart remained a GK.

I came on here expecting to join in with the entire forum calling this a penalty! 😬
I'm very surprised that people are saying no pen. Have I missed some issued guidance?

That was a penalty 15 years ago so it's probably 3 penalties and a red card today.
These failures to sent The Guvnor to the VAR screen are starting to add up.

I came on here expecting to join in with the entire forum calling this a penalty! 😬
I'm very surprised that people are saying no pen. Have I missed some issued guidance?

That was a penalty 15 years ago so it's probably 3 penalties and a red card today.
These failures to sent The Guvnor to the VAR screen are starting to add up.
Why would it have been handball 15 years ago?

Handball for me, outside of the “silhouette” we keep getting educated on and he has made his body bigger.

The only mitigation is - “the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.”

Of course we aren’t going to see his Majesty called over to the screen in such a big game

I was making the point that handball was given much less often back then (and I think this would still be given).
I don't think was a handball now and I don't think it would have been 15 years ago. He was jumping so his arms will come up, the arm hit the ball as it was coming back down, I just see that as a normal footballing action. I know some say that he knew the ball was going between him and the player next to him so moved his arm to the ball, but that would be a nigh on impossible reaction with the ball moving at that speed

I don't think was a handball now and I don't think it would have been 15 years ago. He was jumping so his arms will come up, the arm hit the ball as it was coming back down, I just see that as a normal footballing action. I know some say that he knew the ball was going between him and the player next to him so moved his arm to the ball, but that would be a nigh on impossible reaction with the ball moving at that speed
Totally agree. And I think the 'natural silhouette' idea that @The Ginger Ref mentions is misleading at best. There are dozens of 'natural silhouettes' depending on the body movement being undertaken. The classic 'arms by the side' is only relevant when players are standing completely still ... funnily enough, that's not a super common occurrence in a fast moving game!

Back