A&H

Club Marks

The Referee Store
50/65 for observer in my league…. Averaging 72. League average 72.3. See previous post for how pissed off I was with my first observation!!!
1/65 for club marks. Averaging 82.65 compared to 72.51 for the league

I vote for getting rid of observers! /s

50/65 for observer in my league…. Averaging 72. League average 72.3. See previous post for how pissed off I was with my first observation!!!

Easily recoverable for end of season.

Easily recoverable for end of season.
For sure.

Had one yesterday, debrief this morning. Feeling confident of a good score. All KMD correct, all cautions correct including C6 and C7 for first time in my career.

Only development point mentioned was; though advantages were good and correct, look for safe FK at times. (6 played, 2 bought back).

I can accept that as I definitely try to play it too much.

Fitness and match control good.

Stepped approach used.

Another one in the books for next Saturday as well. On we march

I guess that’s what happens if you patrol the circle and leave the cards in the motor!

(Only joking;) Well done!)

I am setting myself up for a fall here so here are my club marks for season 2019 /20 on one league just leading up to the COVID lockdown. There are 2 per game; home/away.
94/85 100/75 72/11 85/100 75/90 95/80 75/80
Not bad with an average of just under 80 but the mark of 11 shows why you shouldn’t pay too much attention to what the clubs score you. There wasn’t even a red card in that game, a couple of sin bins, but from what I remember the away team just turned in the last 5 minutes and I wasn’t having any nonesense.

For sure.

Had one yesterday, debrief this morning. Feeling confident of a good score. All KMD correct, all cautions correct including C6 and C7 for first time in my career.

Only development point mentioned was; though advantages were good and correct, look for safe FK at times. (6 played, 2 bought back).

Stepped approach used.

Let us know if the mark reflects the debrief (without necessarily disclosing the mark) and that you're back in a happy place :)

For sure.

Stepped approach used.

71 👀😂

Anyone else get this message when trying to download some club mark forms?

Attachments

• FC22457C-FB7E-4A2D-BB2B-8CF0E8982986.jpeg
    FC22457C-FB7E-4A2D-BB2B-8CF0E8982986.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 20
Club marks are the one thing I find warp peoples brains like no other (and I agree, there is no better option currently). I see refs getting absolutely hammered by managers, borderline abuse to be polite, and then they're attempting to suck up to those same people after the game and are almost apologetic to them. Its wrong.

We often hear the term 'last weeks ref' used to deride those who don't apply law properly but I'd apply the same term to refs who are happy to pander to people who spend 90 mins screaming at them in the hope of getting a higher club mark. It only encourages repeats.

We often hear the term 'last weeks ref' used to deride those who don't apply law properly but I'd apply the same term to refs who are happy to pander to people who spend 90 mins screaming at them in the hope of getting a higher club mark. It only encourages repeats.
It isn't that clear cut. On the year I went up from 4 to 3 I had considerably more red cards than any other referee on the league and I finished top on club and observer marks. In my experience you are more likely to get marked down for ducking difficult decisions than you are for penalising them, after all there are two teams marking you.

It isn't that clear cut. On the year I went up from 4 to 3 I had considerably more red cards than any other referee on the league and I finished top on club and observer marks. In my experience you are more likely to get marked down for ducking difficult decisions than you are for penalising them, after all there are two teams marking you.
This. I think last season and the season before we still had COVID so I was packing up and leaving. No brown nosing.. not that I do anyway

I'm not saying it's always a successful tactic, it's just one I see quite a lot and it's disingenuous to say the least.

Forget promotions etc. Its just so wrong that managers can abuse refs looking for promotion and the response of the referee is to pander to him and try and appease him. Like I said, it creates another 'last weeks ref' situation.

I'm not saying it's always a successful tactic, it's just one I see quite a lot and it's disingenuous to say the least.

Forget promotions etc. Its just so wrong that managers can abuse refs looking for promotion and the response of the referee is to pander to him and try and appease him. Like I said, it creates another 'last weeks ref' situation.
Thats one reason why I like being an "old & bold" L5 without a care in the world about "promotion" marks. ;)

Gob off at me during a game? You're getting the cards to suit. At the end of the day, grass roots coaches generally are no more educated about the laws or better behaved than any of the players or spectators. I treat em all the same and to Hell with popularity. :D

Old and Bold of Somerset.

Agree with @RustyRef that I think it's a bit of an outdated cliché to suggest sucking up to a team is the way to get good marks.

Someone who is having a go at you is probably going to mark you down regardless. So the "brownie points" you get for letting him get away with it are minimal, while the other team is also going to be annoyed at you for letting the opponent get away with dissent/OFFINABUS that should have resulted in a punishment that benefited them. So two lots of low marks.

On the other hand, punish the player appropriately and you might still get low marks from them, but I doubt they'll be much lower than you'd get from a team that was unhappy with you regardless. After all, no secretary wants to give below 61 and have to actually write reasons down, even more so when that reason is "my player told him to f*** off and the ref sent him off for it"! Conversely, you'll come across to the other team as a strong ref who correctly punishes poor behaviour, which is exactly what they'll appreciate if they've spent most of the season having to accept their opponents putting pressure on the ref.

Of the 5 games my club marks are recorded on MOAS for I've had 23 yellows and 1 red. So an average of 4.6 a game.

I like to think I'm approachable after a game, I discuss any decisions I made and offer my thought process for the incident and generally just be myself. I offer to review footage if they think I'm wrong, and if I think I'm wrong I will admit it.

Never wrong though so haven't had to admit anything yet ;)

Agree with @RustyRef that I think it's a bit of an outdated cliché to suggest sucking up to a team is the way to get good marks.

Someone who is having a go at you is probably going to mark you down regardless. So the "brownie points" you get for letting him get away with it are minimal, while the other team is also going to be annoyed at you for letting the opponent get away with dissent/OFFINABUS that should have resulted in a punishment that benefited them. So two lots of low marks.

On the other hand, punish the player appropriately and you might still get low marks from them, but I doubt they'll be much lower than you'd get from a team that was unhappy with you regardless. After all, no secretary wants to give below 61 and have to actually write reasons down, even more so when that reason is "my player told him to f*** off and the ref sent him off for it"! Conversely, you'll come across to the other team as a strong ref who correctly punishes poor behaviour, which is exactly what they'll appreciate if they've spent most of the season having to accept their opponents putting pressure on the ref.
Absolutely this... Now having the benefit of seeing the marks and the outcomes in almost every game one team has marked me high and the other straight down the middle (70).

Interestingly not always the losing side that have marked me down the middle...

No adverse marks (<70) yet!

Of the 5 games my club marks are recorded on MOAS for I've had 23 yellows and 1 red. So an average of 4.6 a game.

I like to think I'm approachable after a game, I discuss any decisions I made and offer my thought process for the incident and generally just be myself. I offer to review footage if they think I'm wrong, and if I think I'm wrong I will admit it.

Never wrong though so haven't had to admit anything yet ;)
Be very careful doing this.

The FA guidance is you aren't allowed to view footage post match. Or at least that is what I have been told.

Discuss/clarify by all means but without footage.

Back