A&H

Cold/Numb Hands...

I plan to wear gloves if my fingers are too cold to function (borderline last week...it's coming). Not one I'm going to overthink until there are TV cameras and twitter trolls interested in what I'm wearing on my hands (i.e. Never)

The Referee Store
1) Write your notebook out before the game and then just tick off things as you go.

2) Don't like gloves personally and don't like to see them on a referee. If you're moving enough, your hands should be warm.

3) Rub Tiger Balm on the inside of your wrist but make sure you wash your hands after putting it on, it stings if rubbed in an eye or elsewhere

The 'If you're moving' argument doesn't really work when you are doing small sided games, I did a U14s match and didn't get much running in through no fault of my own, I assure you I kept up with play very well in that game!

Does wearing more or better undergarments help? I've always gone with the theory that if your core is warm, then the extremities will also stay warm (warm blood rushing around the body). Personally I like the merino ones and with enough layers it keeps everything out. And yes, it does get cold enough here in southern Australia to need something. My first game as a ref was 2 at kick off (ironically my first game as a senior player was 38 at kick off!).

1) Write your notebook out before the game and then just tick off things as you go.

2) Don't like gloves personally and don't like to see them on a referee. If you're moving enough, your hands should be warm.

3) Rub Tiger Balm on the inside of your wrist but make sure you wash your hands after putting it on, it stings if rubbed in an eye or elsewhere

I do write my notebook out, but its ticking things off etc. I still can't hack. Especially in some leagues I ref in, we don't get team sheets. Its a struggle to get my pencil & stop/start my watch at times in games. I understand what your saying, but the winds been very chilly up here, where I am covered, I am fine but whats bare (hands etc) is extremely cold.

Your extremities get colder because your system uses its energy to keep the more important bits warm- head, heart, lungs etc. It's part of our survival system. A hat and decent body armour is all you need

All well and good saying keep moving, but when on the line in a one sided game you can often be stood still for fairly long periods. So whilst I never wear gloves in the middle I always do on the line if it is very cold.

The key thing is not to wear anything that you wouldn't let a player wear, so a hat is a total no no.

Mind you on Sunday it was cold with a chilly wind but sun was out and warmed it up so not too bad. But on the way to a match if my car gives me a -1 or -2 or below i know my gloves will be on...... I am follicaly challenged on the old bonce but i would never wear a woolly hat or anything that ....in my book is a bit too much.....

All well and good saying keep moving, but when on the line in a one sided game you can often be stood still for fairly long periods. So whilst I never wear gloves in the middle I always do on the line if it is very cold.

The key thing is not to wear anything that you wouldn't let a player wear, so a hat is a total no no.
THIS x 100

Stood on the line, freezing my fingers off, wishing something would happen to let me move! Almost threw the flag at one point my hand was so cold. Warmer in the second half thanks to the putting on the gloves and no more risk of blinding a spectator with an accidentally thrown flag!

It was warmish before the game, freezing after the game started. Actually broke the cardinal rule - short sleeved shirt + gloves :(

I do write my notebook out, but its ticking things off etc. I still can't hack. Especially in some leagues I ref in, we don't get team sheets. Its a struggle to get my pencil & stop/start my watch at times in games. I understand what your saying, but the winds been very chilly up here, where I am covered, I am fine but whats bare (hands etc) is extremely cold.
You do know that I'm further north than you? I know your pain from many years on the line at Supply and in the middle over 16 harsh winters... brrrrrr

I'm all for having gear that serves a dual purpose therefore i use my winter golf gloves. They are black and white and work perfectly. Saturday i didn't have them and couldn't feel my hands but Sunday i did and they were excellent.

interesting about hats - what about caps? if the weather is particularly wet then I wack on a cap as I wear glasses - thoughts?

51xQG1nteuL._SX300_.jpg

xmas is coming @Charlie Jones :)

interesting about hats - what about caps? if the weather is particularly wet then I wack on a cap as I wear glasses - thoughts?
That one seems fair enough, goalkeepers wear them. The players likely choose not to wear them as it makes you useless at heading the ball. Although I don't if in law you can allow an outfield player to wear a cap.

So do I. Also there is a ground I go to quite regularly where the setting sun is directly in your eyes as an AR - worn a cap there quite a few times.

You can look "good" and not be as effective or look a bit "different' but be more effective - seems to me a no brainer.

So do I. Also there is a ground I go to quite regularly where the setting sun is directly in your eyes as an AR - worn a cap there quite a few times.

You can look "good" and not be as effective or look a bit "different' but be more effective - seems to me a no brainer.

Contrib and above directives used to say that assistants could wear caps as long as they were totally black, had no manufacturer logo and no sponsorship. But I think that changed and they haven't been allowed for a few years, and I'm sure they aren't allowed at National League level and above.

Back