A&H

Contrib Fitness Test

The Referee Store
I was invited to Surrey's Development Group 'dummy' fitness test last night as I believe there are tests in August and September for Level 5-4. I am Level 7 so was good to have a go as such. It will be a while until I need to do it and pass it.

I was 30 seconds outside the 2600m in 12 minutes, first time I have ran since late April, no excuses though and its good to see where I was fitness wise. It was very hard. I was able to the sprints ok (2 x 50m is 7.5 seconds).

I won't lie, I am a little sore today!

Well done mate, now bring on pre season :)

Cheers bud!

I was invited to Surrey's Development Group 'dummy' fitness test last night as I believe there are tests in August and September for Level 5-4. I am Level 7 so was good to have a go as such. It will be a while until I need to do it and pass it.

I was 30 seconds outside the 2600m in 12 minutes, first time I have ran since late April, no excuses though and its good to see where I was fitness wise. It was very hard. I was able to the sprints ok (2 x 50m is 7.5 seconds).

I won't lie, I am a little sore today!

Yeah the 5-4 promotion candidate tests usually take place a fair bit later than the one for the actual Level 4s. Managed to get round with about half a minute to spare which I was pleased with as I'd done no training and hadn't ran like yourself since April due to exams.

Might not be too long til you go for it! After all I was a 7 only 2 years ago!

Did my 7-6 fitness test on Friday. I was about 50m short of 2600 in 12 minutes, so well chuffed with that. Ran my two 50m in 6 secs and 7 secs. Just a bit more training and I should reach the 2600 next time.

Quite a few cfa's are asking all promotion seeking refs to do the test. Not necessarily passing it but to have an idea of the expected next step. It also shows a level of commitment to refereeing.

What about a referee who had absolutely no interest in progressing past Level 5?

Are they going to refuse people promotion between 7-5 if they decline to take the test?

Massive backward step imho, purely designed to further push the FA's ridiculous agenda of over promoting young referee's purely because it looks good in the media to have lots of 17/18 yr old "senior" referees.

Yet more FA led discrimination against mature experienced referees.

Should a 'senior county referee' not be judged on fitness? I find the discrimination thing a bit tiresome tbh, I've seen plenty of "experienced refs" go up through the system over younger refs

I'd welcome a minimum fitness level for anyone to run a line. Don't care what age, height, sex or anything else if you can't keep up you are not in position to give a credible decision. Don't see how age comes into this discussion. I've just got to level 4 at 43years old, 2 of the others from this county to get there are early 20's the other in his 30's. Don't see any discrimination there.

On another side of it, I'm very over weight and would probably struggle to run 2600/2800 metres continuously in 12 minutes, but I have never been behind play when running the line in any senior county game or any U'18 game. So that would automatically rule me out of refereeing these games and therefore losing interest in being a referee. Likewise I've never had any complaints from players for not being up with play, start stop and 50M sprints I can do.

I think if your not fit enough then it should be fed back to you by your appointments officer when you don't get given any games.

I can see them positives and the negatives for the fitness test, but I personally think they would lose a lot of referees.
Especially these old fellas who've been doing it for 40-50 years.

Didn't say that I agree with the test as it is. It's not orientated to refereeing in its current format but it is what we have so have to go with it.
A series of timed sprints would be more in keeping with an AR's duties.

Why have you got to do a fitness test??? I thought you only did those 5-4 onwards???
As Darren says, our CFA suggests a fitness "assessment" to give you an idea of where you are. That said, the fitness assessment for 7-6 is 2200m. If you are being assessed, why set a level you are expected to achieve?

What about a referee who had absolutely no interest in progressing past Level 5?

Are they going to refuse people promotion between 7-5 if they decline to take the test?

Massive backward step imho, purely designed to further push the FA's ridiculous agenda of over promoting young referee's purely because it looks good in the media to have lots of 17/18 yr old "senior" referees.

The main emphasis was on the "asking" part. The CFA's are asking refs to take the test if they want to (if they don't then fair enough), it is a great help for those referees who want to reach level 4 at some point in their refereeing career but it also works for refs at levels 7-5 because if they want to they can do the test and see how they compare to other refs in the same level but they aren't being forced to do it, it us purely on a volunteer basis.

Having had to spend a lot of time working to the test this year the main thing I've taken from it is working with a bunch of other refs away from the pitch. So much encouragement and abuse has been great.

I'd welcome a minimum fitness level for anyone to run a line. Don't care what age, height, sex or anything else if you can't keep up you are not in position to give a credible decision. Don't see how age comes into this discussion. I've just got to level 4 at 43years old, 2 of the others from this county to get there are early 20's the other in his 30's. Don't see any discrimination there.

I passed my fitness in early jul;y 52 + all our promotion candidates this season have to take the fitness test as already said not necessarily pass but attempt, obviously 5-4 candidates have to pass what's the problem ????with everyone

Padfoot said:

why would you have no interest in not going past 5 surely the aim is to referee at the highest level you possibly can do we say this at work sorry don't want this promotion iam happy cleaning the floors sorry don't get it

Back