A&H

Junior/Youth Couple of questions

I've seen plenty of quick free kicks near the penalty area given in British/European football including at the highest level games (EPL, UCL etc) and the only time I've ever seen it cause a problem with match control was in one famous incident involving Manchester Utd and a French team (whose name escapes me at the moment) and this was apparently only because it had become the accepted norm in France (though not anywhere else that I'm aware of and apparently not in the ref's home country) that free kicks around the penalty area should be ceremonial. There's nothing in the Laws of the Game that I'm aware of that supports this view. I can think of several quick free kicks (and goals scored from them) in the Premier League in recent seasons and once again, no probems arising from them in terms of player behaviour.

In fact, given that a foul near the penalty area often involves preventing a good attacking opportunity, the sooner the attacking opportunity is restored to the team that was only denied it by the illegal actions of the opponent, the better - as far as I'm concerned. Of course, there are scenarios where a ceremonial restart is indicated but the mere fact that the foul is in an advanced attacking area is not one of them, in my opinion.

The Referee Store
On quick free kicks ...

I had this on Saturday:

Award whites free kick about 10 yards into the attacking half. They take qfk from about 10 yards into own half. I blew & got them to retake it

Some annoyance from whites for denying them the qfk.

Any thoughts?

On quick free kicks ...

I had this on Saturday:

Award whites free kick about 10 yards into the attacking half. They take qfk from about 10 yards into own half. I blew & got them to retake it

Some annoyance from whites for denying them the qfk.

Any thoughts?

Why did you make them retake? What infringement had occurred?

I've seen plenty of quick free kicks near the penalty area given in British/European football including at the highest level games (EPL, UCL etc) and the only time I've ever seen it cause a problem with match control was in one famous incident involving Manchester Utd and a French team (whose name escapes me at the moment) and this was apparently only because it had become the accepted norm in France (though not anywhere else that I'm aware of and apparently not in the ref's home country) that free kicks around the penalty area should be ceremonial. There's nothing in the Laws of the Game that I'm aware of that supports this view. I can think of several quick free kicks (and goals scored from them) in the Premier League in recent seasons and once again, no probems arising from them in terms of player behavior.

In fact, given that a foul near the penalty area often involves preventing a good attacking opportunity, the sooner the attacking opportunity is restored to the team that was only denied it by the illegal actions of the opponent, the better - as far as I'm concerned. Of course, there are scenarios where a ceremonial restart is indicated but the mere fact that the foul is in an advanced attacking area is not one of them, in my opinion.

@Peter Grove you are right there were a few seasons of quick free kicks being taken in the PL but how many have you seen in the last couple of seasons? We both know the answer is none. Around the time you are talking about it was happening alot, the goalkeeper is stood by his far post lining up the wall whilst the striker simply puts the ball into the empty net, doesn't look good. Especially when 10 minutes later you deny the opposing team a quick one because you are a couple of yards closer and therefore on top of it?

As other have said quick free kick anywhere on the pitch, crack on. Around the penalty area then its on the whistle, it really is that simple. Any coach or high ranking official will give you this advice. I have been given this advice from PGMOL officials and coaches.

@RefJef i cant see any reason to pull this one back, this is a quick free kick i would allow. If the team are going to punt the ball into the box then again i will make that on my whistle purely for my own benefit, ie. being in position to see fouls, offsides etc.

Yes, just to clarify, whites took the free kick from about twenty yards from where the foul occurred, albeit further away from the goal they were attacking, which is why I made them retake.

We will never know as simon was miles away looking in the wrong direction!

Klopp was being generous to his keeper there.

A ceremonial free kick is one thing - there's no obligation to stand there twiddling your thumbs while the keeper sorts his stuff out. He has plenty of time to organise the wall end everybody knows that they need to be ready before the attacker is.
Every defender at U/10 knows this - everybody on the field certainly did. Blaming the referee for a defensive stuffup. How unusual!!

Last edited:
We have had this conversation else where- the laws are unequivocal- the whistle goes when we are ready, what the keeper is doing is of no concern of ours.

hence the friendly reminder ...'' on the whistle keep '' doesnt imply that your waiting for him, just for him to be ready when that whistle is blown

Back