A&H

Cramp!

Ross

Forum VAR
Staff member
Level 6 Referee
FA Referee
Despite my best efforts of trying not to eat crap before a game, drinking plenty of water, stretching and warming up properly I find myself suffering badly with cramp in the last few minutes of a game. Also find my right calf really sore after a game. Any other suggestions to help me stop suffering?

The Referee Store
If you are drinking too much / alot of water you could be dilluting your salt stores, especially if you are a salty sweater, as I am. I have actual salt on my face after strenuous exercise.
Might be worth having a pack of salted crisps at half time or a salt stick, something like that. Or replace some of the water with an electrolyte filled drink.
Also lay off any static stretching pre game and try and keep the warm ups dynamic

KT taping your calf might help if you're finding it's becoming a recurring issue - I've been suffering with an issue with my left calf on and off since injuring it nearly a year ago, and it's amazing how much better it's been since I started taping it.

I struggled with cramp for a few games pre season and like @JamesL says it was down to a lack of salt.
Lucozades are great but not for replenishing salt stocks.
I use the SIS Electrolyte tablets in a small bottle of water at half time. This worked a treat!

Echo the suggestion of salt. I used to know someone who made their own lucozade-style drinks for this reason - strong squash for the sugar and a pinch of standard kitchen salt. No idea how they tasted or even how sound the science is, but the claim was always that he'd cramp if he didn't have this drink and wouldn't if he did.

The sugar in lucozade-like drinks actually causes the salts to be absorbed slower.
Try to go for electrolyte drinks/supplements rather than isotonic drinks like Lucozade

Drink Tonic water before game. Contains quinine which is prescribed medicine for persistent cramp sufferers.

I used to have the most ferocious cramps; sometimes during the game itself, often a couple of hours later. I was advised to have magnesium, sports drinks or bananas. So I blanket bombed and do all three. Magnesium tablet before I leave home. Banana before game and at half time. Sports drink (electrolyte) at end. The problem has disappeared.

Echo the suggestion of salt. I used to know someone who made their own lucozade-style drinks for this reason - strong squash for the sugar and a pinch of standard kitchen salt. No idea how they tasted or even how sound the science is, but the claim was always that he'd cramp if he didn't have this drink and wouldn't if he did.
100% I used to buy Hydrolite (don't know if you have that in the UK) but it was getting expensive. Now in a 600mm bottle I put cordial to taste and half a teaspoon of salt. Done!

You could also try compression calf sleeves.

(Though the stretching is probably key. If you haven't been with an expert in a while, maybe it's time to revisit and get a new routine...)

Back