A&H

Cray Wanderers v Canvey Island

I explicitly tell ARs to keep the flag up if I haven't spotted it no matter how long it takes. If I'm playing advantage or overruling I will make it clear with a "lower the flag" sign. Eventually the players will tell me.
But then you risk a situation like the video in this topic. OK, I would hope you would chat to the AR and give the goal, but it really wouldn't look good to have a goal scored and the AR in the other half with his flag up. Had the AR been told to drop his flag once the defensive team got an advantage back this debacle would never have happened.

The Referee Store
I know this referee. For some reason his games seem to constitute about half the clips I see from clubs claiming the officials are awful.

If you saw the one where the ref gives a handball because he thinks he's come out of the PA before releasing at at a fly kick, (he hadn't) that was him too.
It's staggering that this style of officiating is permitting appointments to Step 4, never mind 3.

This being said, it's appalling from the AR to keep the flag raised once the play breaks away even before the goal. Following the conversation taking place (in front of benches), I do not know this conclusion has been reached. It suggests to me that the AR lacks significant football knowledge or possibly isn't a fan of the game itself.

I explicitly tell ARs to keep the flag up if I haven't spotted it no matter how long it takes. If I'm playing advantage or overruling I will make it clear with a "lower the flag" sign. Eventually the players will tell me.
I guess that’s one way to tell your ARs you don’t trust their judgment. This really isn’t complicated for the AR. On OS (or another FK offense in favor of the defense) there is no reason at all to keep the flag up once the defense has clean control and is moving up the field. If you don’t trust your AR to make that judgment, why have them? (The only complication is that the expectation is different if the ball went out of play, as no advantage can apply.)

To be honest, it’s a really poor decision and I don’t personally feel that Cray have been out of order in the way they’ve highlighted it. They described it as bizarre, and it was.

The referee will learn from it I’m sure. Sometimes these things have to happen for us to learn. My poorest one was probably awarding a penalty with the ball looped up in the air just as it dropped down over the goalkeeper and in. They then missed the penalty. I learned a lot from that as a level 7.

Interesting looking at the comments. ‘Mark Halsey’ has chirped up about it. Whether it’s the real Mark Halsey or not I don’t know. Pleasing to see a commenter who was initially critical and tagging ref support uk comment back ‘that’s a bit extreme, a re-education maybe’ in response to a comment that the ref should never referee again.

Back