A&H

Deceiving your opponent

Romarque

Good day colleagues

I trust all are well and would appreciate tour input on the following question.

I did a match yesterday where the attacking team player is in an offside position. I know it is not an offence being in an offside position. The player however intended to go for the ball, however his teammate shouted “Leave” and he got the ball and scored a goal.
I disallowed the goal as I deemed the attacker to be distracting his opponent in an unsporting behaviour and restarted with an IDFK

If anyone has another view on this, feel free to comment.

The Referee Store
Don’t quite follow - a second attacker, not offside, shouted “leave” to the offside attacker?

As discussed in other threads, it’s not an automatic offence to shout “leave” or “mine”. The offence is verbally distracting an opponent.

So, was an opponent verbally distracted and consequently did not play the ball or challenge?

Don’t quite follow - a second attacker, not offside, shouted “leave” to the offside attacker?

As discussed in other threads, it’s not an automatic offence to shout “leave” or “mine”. The offence is verbally distracting an opponent.

So, was an opponent verbally distracted and consequently did not play the ball or challenge?
The opponent did not challenge for the ball as he knew that attacker 1 was in an offside position.

The opponent did not challenge for the ball as he knew that attacker 1 was in an offside position.
It does not sound like there was any 'interfering with an opponent' offside offence here.
Did that attacker in an offside position prevent an opponent playing the ball, by clearly obstructing their line of vision - no
Did that attacker challenge an opponent for the ball - no
Did that attacker clearly attempt to play the ball which is close, impacting on an opponent - no
Did that attacker make an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball - no (you say the attacker 'intended' to go for the ball but an intent isn't an obvious action and they did not make an action when they heard their team-mate ask them to leave it)

It does not sound like there was any 'interfering with an opponent' offside offence here.
Did that attacker in an offside position prevent an opponent playing the ball, by clearly obstructing their line of vision - no
Did that attacker challenge an opponent for the ball - no
Did that attacker clearly attempt to play the ball which is close, impacting on an opponent - no
Did that attacker make an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball - no (you say the attacker 'intended' to go for the ball but an intent isn't an obvious action and they did not make an action when they heard their team-mate ask them to leave it)
Attacker 1 was in an offside position when the ball was played to him. There was a defender between him and attacker 2. Attacker 1 attempted to play the ball and was instructed by attacker 2 to “leave” the ball. Defender began to decelerate as he knew attacker 1 was going to be offside. Attacker 2 then got to the ball first and went on to score.
My thoughts are that attacker 2 was deceiving his opponent by shouting to leave the ball.

Was this decision correct? If not, please advise to avoid future mistakes.

It feels bit ambiguous to say that Attacker 1 attempted to play the ball until their teammate instructed them to leave it. Did they feint/dummy the ball, did they block the defender’s path to the ball? Without seeing the incident it’s difficult to comment but based on what’s been written I think the goal should stand. The defender should play to the whistle so their actions are irrelevant unless there is a clear action by Attacker 1 to interfere. I certainly don’t think it was clear that Attacker 2 was attempting to distract the defender by shouting leave. Happy to be corrected by a more experienced referee!

Good day colleagues

I trust all are well and would appreciate tour input on the following question.

I did a match yesterday where the attacking team player is in an offside position. I know it is not an offence being in an offside position. The player however intended to go for the ball, however his teammate shouted “Leave” and he got the ball and scored a goal.
I disallowed the goal as I deemed the attacker to be distracting his opponent in an unsporting behaviour and restarted with an IDFK

If anyone has another view on this, feel free to comment.
Darren?

It feels bit ambiguous to say that Attacker 1 attempted to play the ball until their teammate instructed them to leave it. Did they feint/dummy the ball, did they block the defender’s path to the ball? Without seeing the incident it’s difficult to comment but based on what’s been written I think the goal should stand. The defender should play to the whistle so their actions are irrelevant unless there is a clear action by Attacker 1 to interfere. I certainly don’t think it was clear that Attacker 2 was attempting to distract the defender by shouting leave. Happy to be corrected by a more experienced referee!
You say defender did not challenge because he knew attacker 1 was offside. Being distracted by attacker 2 has nothing to do here. The defender should have also been aware of attacker 2 coming.

Although I think you were wrong considering this as a 'verbal distraction' it is a subjective call and you are entitled to make that decision. However once you make this decision you MUST also caution attacker 2. If you don't caution, you'd be wrong in law.

I read the OP, and I see smart play by the attacking team and poor play by the defending team. The attacker recognizing his teammate was OS and yelling at him to leave it is just smart play. The OS player understanding that and stopping is also smart play. The defender stopping because he thinks there is going to be an OS situation is poor judgment. This sounds a lot like diagram 3 at the back of the magic book.

i don’t see anything remotely unsporting about what the attackers did here. From what you wrote, it wasn’t the attacker yelling leave it that caused the defender to stop, but the defender’s poor assumption. As other’s have said, if you are calling distracting, it has to be a caution, not simply a FK.

Back