A&H

Defibrillator Petition

My post was poorly structured. I wasn't implying the £20M be spent on road safety.
I was asking how many lives would the £20M save on football fields. I'd be amazed if it were 6 a YEAR!
Having a defib at any venue with more than X pitches would be a good compromise.
Although the little b*st*rds of Manchester would vandalise the **** out of them.
So it needs to be locked up, who holds the key?

The Referee Store
Erm, never thought it'd come to this on this thread, chill out chaps!

You didn't think a thread on life and death could get slightly heated?
On a forum where threads about football get closed....
All been pretty civilised so far anyway

You didn't think a thread on life and death could get slightly heated?
On a forum where threads about football get closed....
All been pretty civilised so far anyway
Must be my naivety again then. :meh:

Having a defib at any venue with more than X pitches would be a good compromise.
Although the little b*st*rds of Manchester would vandalise the **** out of them.
So it needs to be locked up, who holds the key?

And there in lies the problem, at local/grass roots football that is predominantly played on a local park, it just wouldn't be feasible.

Certainly in my area the majority of games are on local parks, with a couple played at sports centres/schools etc.

Even if the FA provided one for every place with more than 3 pitches, who is going to take responsibility for the devices?

I can't see many councils wanting to take ownership of several £900+ devices that would need to be locked away and kept safe 99% of the time.

They'd also find a way of passing this onto the clubs by increasing pitch fees etc.

Sports centers you would expect to already have one somewhere on site anyway. But I'm not sure whether schools have to have them, and if they did whether they'd be willing to let dog and duck utd get theit hands on them on a Sunday morning.

It's a great idea and I'd be all for it, but I think there's just too many problems to get it to work properly.

Imagine the out cry the local FA/council would get if they only funded devices for locations with 3 or more pitches, and someone dies at a place that didn't meet the requirements to get one.

Let's also not for get that not all leagues will stipulate that grounds must have secure changing rooms.

One place local to me is a council pitch, but you have to use the changing room in the village hall across the road. Who would take charge in an instance like this?

Why do you say that? Are you qualified to know when 'too late' is? CPR may be doing enough to keeper the person 'in the game', so to speak. And it may not. Or the defib might be grabbed at first sign of severe difficulties but before the heart has stopped.

Cost is, of course, a major concern. My old local region has had the local FA purchase defibs for all clubs. We're talking some 15-20 clubs or so.

Given I forgot my whistle at Hackney Marshes last season, or rather left it in the changing room, my point was more about how long it would take someone to get back to the changing room, find the machine (I presume you don't need a key and it is break glass to open?), then get it back to the pitch. That isn't going to happen quickly, and whilst in extreme cases it might be quick enough I suspect more often than not it wouldn't be. And that is of course assuming the player sent to get the device doesn't get there to find it has been vandalised.

The FA are not responsible for our roads so that analogy is nonsense.
I completely disagree with you on this. A waste of resources? How should the FA be spending their money then? Do you know how much your County FA or District FA have in the bank? More than enough to help with this or at least subsidies it for grounds to buy them.

That isn't right any more I'm afraid. CFA's have had their budgets absolutely slashed by the FA, to the extent that their have been loads of redundancies. Whilst there is ludicrous amounts of money in the professional game that doesn't make it down to grass roots level and many CFAs are struggling to keep their heads above water financially.

That isn't right any more I'm afraid. CFA's have had their budgets absolutely slashed by the FA, to the extent that their have been loads of redundancies. Whilst there is ludicrous amounts of money in the professional game that doesn't make it down to grass roots level and many CFAs are struggling to keep their heads above water financially.

this is shamefully true ... I say shamefully as its the grass roots/CFA that keep the big guys ticking! the FA only really pump money into the bigger counties like Essex etc.

in answer to your other question @RustyRef - the defib isn't under lock and key or glass - the law requires it to be accessible and visible at all times - the idea being that you could effectively, run into a shop (if you knew it had one) grab it from behind the counter and back into the street to save someone all with out fannying around asking staff to get it, then them stopping what they are doing too find it etc. when you buy one of these machines, it is then noted on sites that 'said place' has one - there is usally a defib located less than 2 minutes away from where you stand! :eek::eek:

as for @CapnBloodbeard - qualified to know when 'too late' is? no mate ... expert in google search engine (or done a first aid course) then yes ... with no CPR for 3 minutes you stand around 75% chance of sustaining brain damage, after 5 minutes its 90% - push to around the 10 minute mark and we are all now clapping you for still being alive (although maybe we should be 'clapping' your chest!)

lets not forget the one major factor here guys ... a defib isn't the be all and end all ... a defib is actually designed for not CPR/first aid trained people to do something! if you are trained in CPR then administer CPR straight away ... im sure we all know how to do CPR? draw a line from nipple to nipple, and down from the chin, where the lines meet is roughly to breast bone ... hands inter locked using pressure form the bottom of the palm - 20 'sets' or push downs, whatever you call it, followed by 2 big blows (fill your lungs before blowing!) and repeat

Back