A&H

Junior/Youth Did I expect too much

Nimbleblade

On Sunday I had a the league allocated referee for my youth teams match...it's the first time this referee has officiated in one of my matches but did I expect too much...?

A precis

Young ref going for promotion, arrives 6 minutes before kick off and asks for his card to be signed.
Throughout the match hand with his watch is always in his pocket and doesn't even take it out to check the time, he stoops over to look.
Makes one decision all match although there were a few cynical tackles
Final whistle hardly get to thank him before he runs off

At the end a couple of parents asked why he wasn't ever up with play and why his hand was in his pocket all the time, the opposition manager laughed and said ' we got away with loads there, sorry'

I was left disappointed as I thought I'd have a really keen, enthusiastic referee

But was I expecting too much?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
No mate I don't think that you were expecting too much. I can't speak for all, but my view is that as a referee we are there as representatives of the FA (as much as anything else). We are also paid, which whilst not a lot, makes our position professional. As such we should act professionally. Arriving just before kick off does not come across as professional. How did he manage to do his (obligatory) pre-match checks? Had someone already checked the pitch and players' equipment for him? Our job is to make decisions. It might be the wrong one, but better to make the odd wrong decision than make no decisions at all. It makes me very cross that someone is turning up and taking the money for doing so little. Unfortunately it gives us all a bad name.

I gave him 60, think its the lowest I've ever given someone.

I sat on Sunday night comparing his performance against mine from the match I did on Sunday morning and was concerned about where he could end up in a few years

am i right in thinking 59 and you'd have had to write a report?

based on what you've said, you've probably done the footballing world a major disservice tho, on the other hand, it might be worth putting a sneaky tenner on him becoming an elite referee before he's 30

am i right in thinking 59 and you'd have had to write a report?

based on what you've said, you've probably done the footballing world a major disservice tho, on the other hand, it might be worth putting a sneaky tenner on him becoming an elite referee before he's 30

Not sure if it's the same in OPs league, but in the league I ref in a mark of 60 or below requires a report to be sent to league and referee secretary. So may have to send a report in for a 60 mark. This is why most leagues laugh at managers who mark 61 just to avoid having to do a report. Usually it's because one big decision has gone against them and they don't agree.

What is the hand in the pocket thing about? Very odd.

Wonder if some of his behaviour was due to having multiple games on the day. Skipping from one match to the next without putting in a lot of effort?

I find, being a young ref myself, that I try harder than most, if not all, 'older' refs I see on my travels to look professional and maintain such an appearance during and after the match. Being a young ref has its advantages and disadvantages and I don't want my age to be taken into account when managers/ coaches and parents are voicing their opinions. Sounds like a very unusual incident and I'm sure there's an explanation (I hope so :p)

I find, being a young ref myself, that I try harder than most, if not all, 'older' refs I see on my travels to look professional and maintain such an appearance during and after the match.

You might get away with that kind of ageist slur in on the streets of Paisley...but here in leafy Sussex, that's fighting talk, you young scamp

de85d_ORIG-big_spoon.jpg

yours, i think, Jojo :)

de85d_ORIG-big_spoon.jpg

yours, i think, Jojo :)
Don't bring me into this now!!!:hmmm: I don't wanna be part of this argument!! :p

Although, have been looking for that for a while, where did you find it??:rolleyes:

Back