A&H

Didn't see it

Robert King

When you don't see something, say a handball, and players appeal and want a penalty. Do you say so? Or will you act as if you are 100% certain that it was not a handball....?

I was wondering about your experiences, for me personally, I tend to just truthfully say so right after the incident. Something of the sort like: I couldn't see it

9/10 times the players understand and stop yelling, however not always..

The Referee Store
Or just shout "play on", or, "keep going". Let's them know they're not getting anything without you having to admit to not seeing it, which may be a figment of their imagination anyway......

Sometimes the nature of an appeal - the fact that multiple players all appeal for the same thing at the same time when my view was momentarily blocked - makes it obvious that I've missed something.

In those circumstances I never insist that I saw it and thought they were all wrong. I might just wave play on and not discuss it. If I suspect they are right I might say that I didn't see it, or couldn't see it, and if I missed something, sorry. I'll never see everything: deal with it.

The admission that I am not a perfect ref followed by a friendly but firm reminder than I am nevertheless in charge normally does the trick. It's better for match control than insisting you're right no matter what, imo.

Reactions: one
My alternative to "I didn't see it" is usually "it didn't look like [a foul/a handball/it] from my angle". Essentially the same thing, but suggests you've made a concious decision, rather than just chickening out because you're not sure.

Had it a few weeks back ball over the line 18 players in the box couldn’t quite see 100% if it was over so just said view blocked couldn’t see it sorry.

It’s all circumstances really all depends on the situation if half the pitch is appealing for a decision I would put 2 & 2 together and say they’re prob right so I wouldn’t go against that I’d just say I didn’t see it sorry.

I think the atmosphere of the match will decide how I approach that.

Generally, I'll be honest, if I missed something I'll say so. Some players will accept that, the rest can talk themselves into the book. If a game is more tetchy, I'll do as Minty says and just do the whole 'play on' thing.

Just be honest, "didn't look like a foul from my angle", "unintentional handling in my view", etc. Players may not agree with you, but it is a better option that saying nothing.

I think it really depends on a lot of things. Either way, they're looking at you to make a decision. A loud shout of 'No!' and the 'grass cutting' hand signal helps sell it.
Hopefully that's the end of it. Sometimes you may need to explain your decision after - and that may be 'all I could see is his back' or 'your teammate had completely blocked my view, I couldn't see it'. Sometimes the 'I'm only human' approach works well. Sometimes it doesn't.

Reactions: one
Back