A&H

Difficult to determine throw-in direction as AR?

Lefelee

Hello folks.
I love being an assistant referee and I have always been receiving good feedback, particularly for my positioning, offside decisions and support for the referee, but I have always struggled with determining the direction of throw-ins (and goal/corner kick decisions). I am so secure and confident in everything else I do, but when it comes to determining who touched the ball last, particularly a bit away from me on the left side, I am too often completely blank. I always try to look for a signal from the referee, but if he's one of those who does not use visual hints or is unsure himself I very often just gamble about a direction, and some of those decisions have been totally wrong in the past.

Do you have any advice about how to improve on this aspect? Are there any video tests about it, like the excellent ones about offside?

The Referee Store
well, if everyone is unsure, it usually gets awarded to the defending team so i'd bear that in mind initially
secondly, something ive taken from advice given on here is to talk to yourself as you are watching the play, whos had the last touch , so in your head ''blue, blue, blue, red, red off... blue throw''

What is it you're having problems with? can't tell who it came off? Or you can tell and your mind can't connect that to whose throw it is?
Do you have this issue in the middle?

It's an issue non-officials would not understand but it's something I've heard of often among officials. For me, on the line it's pretty easy as I remember a specific side, usually the defending side and the direction, right. I had an issue when I first qualified where I would know the decision but it took a few seconds to process the direction simply because the same decision can be a different arm dependent on your direction, it's not as binary as when you're on the line. Still takes me a few minutes to adjust now to it, I have to actively think about it.

My advice whilst on the line, since you're monitoring the defensive line, note the colour of them, let's say they're in red. If you're struggle to get your head around just think "Red right".

Reactions: SM
No matter how many games I have done as an assistant, its half time that catches me out sometimes, few times I have crossed sords with the ref few mins later I am ok. Good advice from YorkshireReferee thats how I do it to start off with then I am ok after 5 mins

Reactions: SM
It's an issue non-officials would not understand but it's something I've heard of often among officials. For me, on the line it's pretty easy as I remember a specific side, usually the defending side and the direction, right. I had an issue when I first qualified where I would know the decision but it took a few seconds to process the direction simply because the same decision can be a different arm dependent on your direction, it's not as binary as when you're on the line. Still takes me a few minutes to adjust now to it, I have to actively think about it.

My advice whilst on the line, since you're monitoring the defensive line, note the colour of them, let's say they're in red. If you're struggle to get your head around just think "Red right".

Agree I sometimes have same "blindness" but if red are your defensive line and you're running left backs you would raise your left arm for throws/fouls TO them?

Some games on the line I have a weird kind of mantra running:

Blue blue blue, on, blue, on, blue, off, blue, on, red... Blue throw!

Usually only use it if it is a very busy game or until I have settled into the game. :)

One solution I have for half time is to not use my arms to signal throw ins in the first 5 minutes after half time. That way I can shout the colour and I don't get the whole problem with putting my hand up the wrong way. It also helps me to get back into the game again because a problem I have is going quite after half time, this solves both problems.

as some of the other lads have said mentally talk to your self. red if goes, corner if it goes, blue ball it gets easier with experience, try doing it when you are watching games on tv it will get easier

It may just be me but I often use the goalkeeper as a visual aid. If I am in any doubt I glance to the goal and I then instantly know which way to go. May help, may not but it works for me.

For me a lot comes down to allowing yourself the thinking time for the brain to process what it has actually seen.

Issues on directional signals etc can often be resolved simply by giving yourself that moment of thinking time before committing to a signal in all instances, so that it is your normal thing to do.

You don't have to signal the instant the ball goes out.

I would second @ASM saying give yourself thinking time - it all comes down to not signalling too quickly, as this can catch you out in other ways as well (too early on offside which isn't, flagging ball out of play as the ball suddenly dies before it reaches/goes over the line). Things I've done numerous times in the past, and the thing to do is to s l o w i t d o w n.

I have the same problem. For me, I have to go, red, red, red, red, ball off FOP, blue ball. Slowly getting there!

The issue I've always had on the line is knowing when to look across for offside and when to look up the line for throw in decisions. I think as I gain more experience, I'm gaining more of a "sense" of where the defensive line sits, needing me to not have to look across to keep my position.

I agree with the slowing things down.

When running the line I take my time (within reason) before giving a signal.

When the ball goes out of play and I'm not sure what to give, if it suddenly comes flying out of a mass of players for example, I always try and make eye contact with the ref before signalling.

particularly a bit away from me on the left side, I am too often completely blank. I always try to look for a signal from the referee, but if he's one of those who does not use visual hints or is unsure himself I very often just gamble about a direction, and some of those decisions have been totally wrong in the past.

Do you have any advice about how to improve on this aspect? Are there any video tests about it, like the excellent ones about offside?
If you are working with refs who are not making eye contact with you - and especially if they are not taking any responsibility for decision near the half way line, than you should be ask before the game: just have a chat, ask how they like to signal, say you like to make eye contact with decisions near the half way, ask if they want to make those decisions or how they like to do it.

Half time as well. Sometimes, especially if a game has gone well, my man in the center might start to drift so I tell that I feel more secure when he is closer and remind that I want us to keep making eye contact.

I really try and be constructive and show respect. In my experience so far, most colleagues in the middle or on the line, like to talk about this stuff. The best will give a good briefing. The worst will brush it off to avoid having to actually do the job - unfortunately some will always be last week's ref. But most will be glad...

Back