A&H

Dissent tolerance levels

Three P's! Public, Personal, Provocative.

Public: Does everyone on the pitch know the player is disagreeing with you?
Personal: Is the player simply disagreeing with a decision or does it escalate into comments about you as a person?
Provocative: Is the player trying to wind you up and undermine you - either by being persistent, running a distance to argue with you, swearing, or being too aggressive in the manner they argue?

0 P's = normal footballing disagreement/arguing, maybe a comment on the run is all that's needed
1 P = something you should make a point of publicly managing at the next stoppage, with the captain if necessary
2 P's = justifiable sin bin
3 P's = justifiable red card

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I also think I’m too thick skinned. These are all the C2s I’ve given this season. All were loud enough for other players to hear it.
Following an advantage when the team didn’t capitalise “Ref, no advantage, you don’t know nothing about football”.
To the club Lino “you’re **** Lino”.
To a club Lino (one of his own team mates) “Lino that’s really poor you don’t know what your doing”
When he knew I was being assessed, pointing to the assessor “That was so bad even he’s writing it down”.
After being booked for a foul “ have you even got any ref badges”

I talk a lot to players so there’s quite a bit said that no one else hears that some would probably sin bin for and I don’t.

Last edited:
“Ref, no advantage, you don’t know nothing about football”.
“That was so bad even he’s writing it down”
have you even got any ref badges”
Sorry to pick on you Dicky, these were just the most recent ones!

For me, I find these to be silly comments rather than outright dissent. I personally start to look at SinBins when it’s persistent, it’s rare it’s for the first offence for me.

Whilst I don’t know the context of the game above, and I completely respect any official who SinBins here, I personally wouldn’t be - I’d rather hit back with some sort of comment, be it funny or authoritative.

I'm great at thinking of quips like this. The problem is they don't come to me until about 10 minutes after the event...
Had a one last night, a player who had been left out of the 16 man squad for the game shouting on you’ve had a shocker there ref as I was stood near to him and he got ‘well at least I’m decent enough to get on the pitch’ which soon shut him up and got his mates all ripping into him😂

I'm great at thinking of quips like this. The problem is they don't come to me until about 10 minutes after the event...
I'm fairly quick with them, but they can be dangerous and have landed me in trouble a few times.

Classic example was a Southern League game where a yappy striker kept getting caught offside. He wasn't happy, and kept telling me that the assistants were hopeless. Eventually he asked me to take the offside decisions off them and I responded with "if you want to play in games where the referee gives offside go back to Sunday mornings, although by the way you are playing you'll be doing that anyway". His team mates laughed but he went off crying to his manager and I ended up getting reported to the FA. Nothing came of it, but seemingly the complaint was that I had used language that bullied and degraded him. You really do have to be very careful these days.

I'm fairly quick with them, but they can be dangerous and have landed me in trouble a few times.

Classic example was a Southern League game where a yappy striker kept getting caught offside. He wasn't happy, and kept telling me that the assistants were hopeless. Eventually he asked me to take the offside decisions off them and I responded with "if you want to play in games where the referee gives offside go back to Sunday mornings, although by the way you are playing you'll be doing that anyway". His team mates laughed but he went off crying to his manager and I ended up getting reported to the FA. Nothing came of it, but seemingly the complaint was that I had used language that bullied and degraded him. You really do have to be very careful these days.
Main reason I slipped away from youth.

Teenagers get my back up and when you give them some back they can immediately drop their head. Never had tears, but I felt it was a matter of time.

Used the word gypsy warning once. That was questioned by a group of youth players.

Got to be careful with what rolls off the tongue.

Reminds me of the Bournemouth complaint (can't remember which referee it was about)

I was listening to MOTD or something similar and all the pundits were saying they liked it when referees stood up for themselves and gave it back.

But this here is exactly why that can't happen.

Back