A&H

Dissent - When is it time for a yellow card?

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Dissent is judged differently by many referees, so when do you decide when it's crossed the line and it's time for a yellow card? Normally I give a YC if it's persistent, OTT reaction to a call, shouting at me constantly/getting in my face. So when do you decide when enough is enough?

The Referee Store
Depends on the severity of it... But normally 2 times will get you a yellow!

However, U11, which I have mostly been doing don't get too lippy xD... But at my school matches I've given them 2 chances...

Your lucky then, I had an U12 call me a cu*t the other week, I was wondering why the shower wouldn't warm up!;)

Ouch... He would have been walking... Wouldn't expect a 12 year old to know such word :p.

Did have one situation with an U12 when I think he called me a cheat, he was a s**tbag anyway, but his manager insisted that he would be taking him off, so I let it slide. I also wasn't 100% sure that he did call me a cheat...

If your 100% sure in that situation you dont card them, have a chat with the captain and explain what you think you heard and that it would have been a RC if u heard it clearly and leave it there.

at open age, at local level really you want to build a rapport with them, without being too friendly. depending on how the game is going if its okay im likely to be more lenient and try talking to players just generally using match control but if its an aggressive game as soon as the dissent comes the stepped approach goes out the window for me because you can never be to careful in this situation as it can easily blow up.

regarding the cheat problem, if some players start shouting "have you even done the course" "what kind of joke are you" even thoug my decision was correct and on the spot, what would you do in this case?

For me it could be the easiest yellow you'll give. Could also be deemed as OFFINABUS also so could issue a red

easy caution as Ross says although some may say red. My opinion you gotta be pretty angry to give a red and your probably going to make a rod for your own back, its an easy one if said player adds a "serious" swear word such as c**t or cheat!
every time after a player complains your going to face a barrage of calls for red cards

I did a game the other day when I held that the striker had headed a ball forward instead of handling it (as the defending side claimed), he went on and missed. When the ball was out of play I was surrounded by players shouting at me, but one in particular was aggressive and, whilst he didn't swear, I felt that I needed to caution him to gain control, which worked.
With regards to red card offences, there are two words that get a red card if a player uses them towards me. Both have four letters and begin with c ;)

I did a game the other day when I held that the striker had headed a ball forward instead of handling it (as the defending side claimed), he went on and missed. When the ball was out of play I was surrounded by players shouting at me, but one in particular was aggressive and, whilst he didn't swear, I felt that I needed to caution him to gain control, which worked.
With regards to red card offences, there are two words that get a red card if a player uses them towards me. Both have four letters and begin with c ;)
Whats the second word? C**t and what? Cheat has 5! ;)

lol....make sure you spell his name right before you card him James!

Context is important IMHO when it comes to dissent - the type and atmosphere of the game, previous attitude shown by the player in question and the manner in which he says it.

Dissent? Usually meets one (sometimes more) of the following for me:

- Undermining.
- Distracting.
- Persistent. (eg after EVERY decision, but not necessarily low-level moaning)
- Personal.
- Provocative. (pointing finger; directly in your face, following you around etc)
- Deliberate. (throwing/kicking the ball away, although I lean more towards delaying the restart on these, but it can be dissent).
- Tantrum. (Also called "passion" or "frustration" :rolleyes: but often has a physical element like throwing hands up in the air dramatically - just like my 2 year old before she lays on the floor!)

Back