A&H

Does offsides reset every touch

GrantFrosty

Player A is in an Onside position when a teammate plays the ball. it DEFLECTS (not deliberate played) Off Team B player, When it hits off Team B player A Is now in an offside potion because they were the timing their run with the pass, is this offside still? I think No because offside is when the ball is played. Does it matter if it's an opponent or defender

The Referee Store
OS is measured each time the ball is touched by an attacker. In your example, yes, it is OS as Player A was in offside position when it was last touched by a teammate. (Think about it: it has to be like this--otherwise when would we ever measure it?)

As to a defender, a deflection changes nothing--an attacker who was in OS position would still be OS if the ball deflects of a defender. If the defender plays the ball, however, that eliminates OS until the ball is next touched by an attacker. (The nuance as to what counts as a play as opposed to a deflection can get complicated, and the analysis has changed a couple of times in the last few years.)

offside considerations reset on every touch of a team-mate OR any deliberate play by an opponent.

A player may not be offside when directly receiving the ball from a deliberate play by an opponent regardless of their position at any given time prior to that.

OP scenario is not an offence, regardless of player B touch being deliberate or not.

offside considerations reset on every touch of a team-mate OR any deliberate play by an opponent.
A deliberate play by an opponent does not reset matters in regards to offside position though, which is what is the OP is asking about.

He asks whether it matters that a player who was in an onside position when his team mate played it, is in an offside position when the touch by the defender occurred and it doesn't.

Offside position is only judged on where the player was at the time of the last touch by a team mate.

Since we are being pedantic :)

A deliberate play by an opponent does not reset matters in regards to offside position though,
I never said it does.

in regards to offside position though, which is what is the OP is asking about.
No it is not. In OP the touch by opponent is not deliberate. And the OP is asking "is this offside still?" (see next quote reply re position vs offence)

He asks whether it matters that a player who was in an onside position when his team mate played it, is in an offside position when the touch by the defender occurred and it doesn't.
Well kind of. But the offence is conditioned on position. Its a better assumption to make that the OP words "is this offside still?" are about the bigger picture of offside offence and not about the sub condition of offside position. My post explained the bigger question.

Offside position is only judged on where the player was at the time of the last touch by a team mate.
True. But as per above the OP is asking about the offence and I replied to it as such.

Wont be a referee forum without totally going off the rail :)

Last edited:
Player A is in an Onside position when a teammate plays the ball. it DEFLECTS (not deliberate played) Off Team B player, When it hits off Team B player A Is now in an offside potion because they were the timing their run with the pass, is this offside still? I think No because offside is when the ball is played. Does it matter if it's an opponent or defender
In this example, Player A receiving the ball is onside as he/she was in an onside position when it was played by their teammate

The deflection in this scenario doesn’t really mean anything

Had it deflected off another Player A rather than B then it would be offside (in this particular scenario)

If blue 8 passes to blue 9 while 9 is in an offside position, but red 5 intercepts the pass and brings the ball under control, can blue 9 challenge red 5 for it? If not, at what point can blue 9 take part again?

If blue 8 passes to blue 9 while 9 is in an offside position, but red 5 intercepts the pass and brings the ball under control, can blue 9 challenge red 5 for it? If not, at what point can blue 9 take part again?
I asked a very similar question recently and this was a the response from @JamesL:

"If he immediately challenges the defender then that's an offside offence. And the free kick is taken from where they immediately challenged their opponent

If it's not immediately challenging then no offside offence occurs. If the defender takes a controlled touch then this is likely to come under a deliberate play so we only need to look at the time between that and the challenging to determine if an offence occurs."

We have been discussing this for many years. This is an example from 6 years ago:

As per the video the advise from UEFA and FIFA (FIFA gave advise on lotg matters at the time) was it is offside "to challenge the defender (very shortly) after the defender has "taken hold of the ball" or "controlled the ball" ".

For me the time allowed has to be long enough for the defender to have an opportunity to release the ball with control. If he has that opportunity and chooses not to do so then its fair game.

We have been discussing this for many years. This is an example from 6 years ago:

As per the video the advise from UEFA and FIFA (FIFA gave advise on lotg matters at the time) was it is offside "to challenge the defender (very shortly) after the defender has "taken hold of the ball" or "controlled the ball" ".

For me the time allowed has to be long enough for the defender to have an opportunity to release the ball with control. If he has that opportunity and chooses not to do so then its fair game.
From what I remember, the guidance was changed a few years ago for the example in this clip to be offside. I think the guidance from PGMOL initially was that it wouldn’t be offside, but it now would be (but I may be imagining that!)

I like that advice. But I'm still smarting from being publicly ridiculed by a referee when I was AR a few years ago. A red defender traps the ball quite close to me with a blue player who was in an offside position behind him (closer to his own goal). 20-30 seconds go by whilst the defender looks around, then the blue player comes up, looks at me, then stands in front of red to challenge. The referee looks at me with whistle in mouth whilst I keep my flag down but look back at him and shake my head. He then rolls his eyes, says 'come on!' until I raise it, when he makes another sarcastic comment and everyone (except me) laughs.

I spoke about it with him later and he said the player was offside when the ball was played and as soon as he moved I should've flagged. I accepted at the time that he may have been right and this had always bothered me.

Mind you, same referee also refused my flag in another game shouting loudly 'you can't be offside from a goal kick! Put it down!'. It was an IDK from an offside in the opposing box. I didn't even bother questioning that one...!

Back