A&H

Drop ball

The Referee Store
Made a decision today and unsure if I were right or wrong .
2 players battling for ball , defender slips onto all fours and ball underneath him . Attacker wanting to kick the ball from under him about to start leaning in with the knee . More players moving in closer so a quick blast on the whistle and everyone freezers ( which I found a little amusing ) .
I think I could of gave a foul for obstruction by the defender but I gave a drop ball .
My view was if I gave a drop ball then no team is worse off or better off . Sort of defused the situation b4 it turned nasty .
Opinions please :)

had very similar sunday just gone
crowd of players just outside PA, and a defender drops to the floor , grabs the ball and pulls it underneath him, much like a goalkeeper would.
I couldnt control my laughter, and that sort of helped really, rather than attackers trying to kick lumps out of him, we all found it very amusing, nonetheless he was cautioned for PIADM, and both of us were still chuckling as i'm doing so !
DFK + YC

had very similar sunday just gone
crowd of players just outside PA, and a defender drops to the floor , grabs the ball and pulls it underneath him, much like a goalkeeper would.
I couldnt control my laughter, and that sort of helped really, rather than attackers trying to kick lumps out of him, we all found it very amusing, nonetheless he was cautioned for PIADM, and both of us were still chuckling as i'm doing so !
DFK + YC
If you penalised/cautioned for PIADM then the restart should have been indirect. Sounds more like a handball to me and not 100% sure it was a handball that required a caution.

If you penalised/cautioned for PIADM then the restart should have been indirect. Sounds more like a handball to me and not 100% sure it was a handball that required a caution.

he was surrounded by opposition and had pulled the ball under his body, the vicinity of the other players was enough for me to call PIADM rather than a straight handball.
And yes duly noted, indirect really should have been the restart... thank you squire

he was surrounded by opposition and had pulled the ball under his body, the vicinity of the other players was enough for me to call PIADM rather than a straight handball.
And yes duly noted, indirect really should have been the restart... thank you squire
He grabbed the ball and put it under his body? How are you NOT getting DHB from that?
PIADM - IFK
DHB - DFK
I'm lost...

I'm confused (as ever), who's saying what here.... mine was deliberate HB, where does PIADM come in to any argument???

Stop speed reading, go back and read each post carefully......that's all the words in sequence by the way, then you may come to enlightenment......
Reading this one slowly is even more confusing!

PIADM doesn't enter the equation.......the player deliberately handled the ball, that's where it's a foul. You issue a caution if that's broken up an opponent's attack (which it sounds like this potentially has).

DHB is occurring before PIADM.

Last edited:
Reading this one slowly is even more confusing!

PIADM doesn't enter the equation.......the player deliberately handled the ball, that's where it's a foul. You issue a caution if that's broken up an opponent's attack (which it sounds like this potentially has).

DHB is occurring before PIADM.

yup, i'm with you now... ta

Back