A&H

Review Electronic Linesman Flags

Get them knocked together m8

Great tool if u have them and will always come in handy, I brought a set of Evro-com's best £400 odds I've spent, tho I get 2 neutral assistants every week

I'll be buying a com set next

Last edited:
The Referee Store
can I make a request that @Padfoot stops mentioning vibrating things as I've already got in trouble once and I'm struggling to not make another innuendo ...

in terms of the post ... I totally understand why they shouldn't really be used at lower levels - the idea is to get used to 'having' to look to your assistant - if you notice, referees in the PL still now look across to their assistants - and they can talk to each other!! its because its a habit ...

that being said, if you can make them and they work - then hats off to you.

just don't be too reliant

They shouldn't be used or are rarely used at lower levels becuase you'll get some club Lino smashing them on the floor or treating them like a toy.

To some people, they're expensive pieces of kit and you should only use them when you can trust the linos not to mistreat them.

I'd say knock some together, even if it's just as a "proof of concept" to see if you can.
You never know as was mentioned earlier in the thread, if you can knock together a "do it yourself" kit then you could be onto a winner.

They shouldn't be used or are rarely used at lower levels becuase you'll get some club Lino smashing them on the floor or treating them like a toy.

To some people, they're expensive pieces of kit and you should only use them when you can trust the linos not to mistreat them.

I completely agree. At the end of the day, your flags always have the potential of going In the wrong hands at this level... Regardless of how expensive they are. If my plan goes ahead, one flag from A&H which is ready for linking to a receiver will cost me about £30. That's not that bad if they work. As soon as I get the time, I'll knock some together and get the results posted :)

DB good luck in trying to make your own if you manage to do and they have the range then brilliant and you could be on to a winner because there are lots of refs that would be interested in sure.

Reactions: DB
I'm not really sure how I'd fit in to the UK level system. In Norway I referee at the 4th level and run the line at the 3rd. Many 4th level referees (me included) use them, and the majority at the 3rd level. The utility of the flags depends on the assistant, his experience level and how well I know him. I once had a 2nd level assistant step in in one of my matches, and he really knew how to use the buzzer to get my attention on tight decisions. When I refree at the fith level, I consider not bringing them, as assistants at that level have a tendency to over-use the buzzer.

On average, when I ref at my highest level I find them usefull. Especially when in my diagonal and the ball is travelling along the line. I opt not to shift my view from the action to the assistant, instead trusting that he will buzz me if the ball is out of play. Same goes for some of the offsides you are not expecting, like the player starting in an offside position, moving into his own half to get the ball.

Reactions: DB
Surely he would use the flag to signal if the ball has gone out of play?

Not sure which post you are refering to, but of course the flag would be used, but it will be whilst buzzing. That way you won't miss that two foot tackle or the flinging arm when you switch your focus to see if the assistant has flagged

You shouldn't miss it anyway......learn the basics!

If you don't how to prioritise what you watch.......

Its a good tool to have, not to be relied on perhaps.

Say you are watching the corner or something and the lino buzzes for a defender fighting with an attack that stayed back in his own half. For things out of sight, its great I think.

They have to be used correctly. If I was reffing, I'd instruct the AR's only to buzz if I've clearly missed something. For example, a ball going out of play (e.g Sterlings cross for De Bruyne against Everton) or a handball, shirt tug etc that I haven't seen from my position. I've used them before to also signal a player injured as the play was up the other end of the pitch quite quickly, but I waited (as it wasn't a head injury) until the ball was out of play, therefore not affecting the rerefees attention for the sake of a player with cramp.

Like I said, used sensibly and I think they can help at any level. If I had them, I wouldn't use them in the lower leagues unless it was a cup game and I had Neutrals!

Last edited:
They have to be used correctly. If I was reffing, I'd instruct the AR's only to buzz if I've clearly missed something. For example, a ball going out of play (e.g Sterlings cross for De Bruyne against Everton) or a handball, shirt tug etc that I haven't seen from my position. I've used the, before to also signal a player injured as the planet up the other end of the pitch quite quickly, but I waited (as it wasn't a head injury) until the ball was out of play, therefore not affecting the rerefees attention for the sake of a player with cramp.

Like I said, used sensibly and I think they can help at any level. If I had them, I wouldn't use them in the lower leagues unless it was a cup game and I had Neutrals!
I sort of agree with this. I find buzzer flags a bit clumsy and find myself searching for the button rather than sticking my flag up, this can sometimes lead to what looks like a late flag when you really need a good assertive quick one

I sort of agree with this. I find buzzer flags a bit clumsy and find myself searching for the button rather than sticking my flag up, this can sometimes lead to what looks like a late flag when you really need a good assertive quick one

I always tell assistants that are not used to the buzzers that it is nice tool, but it does not replace the visual signal, so always raise flag and then look for button. I started doing this when I was waiting for an offside call and noticed the assistant was busy looking for the button and not raising his flag.

With assistant I know better, or who ref at a higher level, I touch on some of the ways the buzzer can be used without the visual signal.

Back