A&H

Ended badly

Ori

So today I reffed an u16 match.

I actually thought I had a very decent game, but alas in injury time it became a mess and it wasn’t even because of a decision I made!
Although the away side was sure I was biased because of such a silly incident.

Home team player tackles an away player and kicks the wall out. Lineman’s indicated home team throw in which I agreed with as I heard the second contact.
Defender decides to give me verbals and this is after I had warned them to watch their language and attitude towards me. When the comment about my glasses was made it was a sinbin.
After that, away team just would not be happy with any decision I make. Made it tougher, but fine.

Half time manager complains to me that I’m letting other players say things. I said to him there is a big difference a player getting upset and a moan when a decision is made compared to an insult to an official. He accepted that and apologised, but said that the away AR Was being spoken to poorly. I went over and asked and he said he hadn’t heard anything.

Anyway, injury time of second half and I hear a mum shout at the AR “how dare you speak to a child like that”. Next thing I know the mums kid and the AR’s kid and squaring up. Before I know it mums, dads and coaches all trying to split up everything.

2 reds for the players who were involved. One for the coach. And game is restarted and blow full time.

Turns out what happened was the AR swore at one of the kids. What he should have done was told me a kid was abusive to him, but he didn’t. Mum heard this and said what she said to him, he tells her to F off. Kid comes to protect his mum. Kid comes to protect his dad etc……

In my view. This is 100% the fault of the AR, but no one comes out of this smelling of roses.

Ps. My first red cards. ;)

The Referee Store
So today I reffed an u16 match.

I actually thought I had a very decent game, but alas in injury time it became a mess and it wasn’t even because of a decision I made!
Although the away side was sure I was biased because of such a silly incident.

Home team player tackles an away player and kicks the wall out. Lineman’s indicated home team throw in which I agreed with as I heard the second contact.
Defender decides to give me verbals and this is after I had warned them to watch their language and attitude towards me. When the comment about my glasses was made it was a sinbin.
After that, away team just would not be happy with any decision I make. Made it tougher, but fine.

Half time manager complains to me that I’m letting other players say things. I said to him there is a big difference a player getting upset and a moan when a decision is made compared to an insult to an official. He accepted that and apologised, but said that the away AR Was being spoken to poorly. I went over and asked and he said he hadn’t heard anything.

Anyway, injury time of second half and I hear a mum shout at the AR “how dare you speak to a child like that”. Next thing I know the mums kid and the AR’s kid and squaring up. Before I know it mums, dads and coaches all trying to split up everything.

2 reds for the players who were involved. One for the coach. And game is restarted and blow full time.

Turns out what happened was the AR swore at one of the kids. What he should have done was told me a kid was abusive to him, but he didn’t. Mum heard this and said what she said to him, he tells her to F off. Kid comes to protect his mum. Kid comes to protect his dad etc……

In my view. This is 100% the fault of the AR, but no one comes out of this smelling of roses.

Ps. My first red cards. ;)
Sounds well handled, worth flagging the ARs alleged swearing at a child to safeguarding

Didn’t think of safeguarding. I think it was a reaction to abuse he received. Still unacceptable.

Thanks.

I did diffuse everything with all coaches at the end and they were all taking it very seriously and accepted their responsibility. Both AR and mother apologised to each other. So overall very middle clsss compared to some stories on here.

Didn’t think of safeguarding. I think it was a reaction to abuse he received. Still unacceptable.

Thanks.

I did diffuse everything with all coaches at the end and they were all taking it very seriously and accepted their responsibility. Both AR and mother apologised to each other. So overall very middle clsss compared to some stories on here.
Tbh sounds like nothing, I’m just very cautious on safeguarding 😅 well handled!

Overall it was nothing. Just my first experience of such a mini brawl.

Irony. Parents thanked me at the end.

I had a horrible U16s last weekend. I have had two since then.

For the last two games I took the approach that these guys are hormonal teenagers and once I make a decision it is worth jogging away from them to indicate I don't care to discuss my decision. Last two games have been great.

I also had a club lino (in an adults game) tell me at half time he was getting sick fed up with some abuse one of the defenders was giving him and he was going to take matters in to his own hands if it continued. I had to assure him that I would handle it.

On rare occasions I use club ARs, part of my brief is "If any player has a word with you, let me know and I'll have a word with them"

As we know we can't caution or red card based on a club ARs say so, but that line allows me to act within the LOTG and pre empts them taking the law into their own hands. of course, they might still do, but at least you have set out what you 'want' to happen without 'promising' anything you can't back up.

If you have an adult swearing at an under 16 player that is absolutely a safeguarding issue. I would recommend reporting it, if one of the parents does through the club and they report it to the CFA you could have very difficult questions to answer if you haven't reported it.

Back