A&H

FA Vase - dress code?

The Referee Store
I was wondering if the dress code in England had relaxed some over the years. Glad to see that it has. In the US, the general dress is either a tracksuit (in the States, we use "warmup" as the normal term) or business casual, which is normally a polo/golf shirt and a pair of khakis. Shoes just need to be presentable with business casual - I've worn the "dress sneaker/pundit trainer" that are the leather tops and the white soles (don't laugh - I love those shoes and wear them everywhere!) or a pair of very nice-looking gray trainers.

Back in the mid-2000s when I first did college, we were also jacket and tie. 15 years later, I showed up to my first big-college match in a warmup. I don't think we'll ever go back to suits/jackets/ties.

Insane to think pre covid 30 hungover scallies were assembled pre match, spewing in bushes, urinating where they stood and tanning Monster with their ciggie as referee gets out car suited and booted and heads to the electric fuse cupboard to hang his clobber on two rusty nails.

What a ridiculously pompous caricature we once were.

Yet more proof that you're not who you claim to be! I've only ever asked to be suited and booted at a level where the players are also expected to arrive in their club tracksuits, well ahead of the game in time to be put through specific warm up drills. Still more casual than our suits, but nowhere near the ridiculous juxtaposition you've invented there.

At the "letting Monster flow straight through you" levels, turning up in kit has been acceptable for a very long time. I've done hundreds of games where the only prep required was swapping trainers I used to drive for boots and pulling a few cards and whistles out of my bag. Anyone who thinks officials arrive for Sunday League in a suit is either brand newly-qualified, or is making it up.

Yet more proof that you're not who you claim to be! I've only ever asked to be suited and booted at a level where the players are also expected to arrive in their club tracksuits, well ahead of the game in time to be put through specific warm up drills. Still more casual than our suits, but nowhere near the ridiculous juxtaposition you've invented there.

At the "letting Monster flow straight through you" levels, turning up in kit has been acceptable for a very long time. I've done hundreds of games where the only prep required was swapping trainers I used to drive for boots and pulling a few cards and whistles out of my bag. Anyone who thinks officials arrive for Sunday League in a suit is either brand newly-qualified, or is making it up.
Unless county cups of course. I have experienced as Anubis describes to a tee.
Rocking up to a park, suit and boot, as it's county cup to be met by said description, along with some of the worst changing facilities known to man.
So yes, day to day Sunday parks we rock up in kit but there were times where collar and tie were expected only to be met by same said players doing what they do best

That may be true of your level/local area.

However in Scotland, pre covid it was common place that referees at all levels, from SPL to Sunday league turned up to games in suit (or SFA blazer with badge) shirt & SFA tie. I am still finding it a but strange turning up in tracksuit & polo after 20 years of shirt & tie.

Unless county cups of course. I have experienced as Anubis describes to a tee.
Rocking up to a park, suit and boot, as it's county cup to be met by said description, along with some of the worst changing facilities known to man.
So yes, day to day Sunday parks we rock up in kit but there were times where collar and tie were expected only to be met by same said players doing what they do best

I've had a couple of similar experiences, both on County Cup matches. Shirt and tie etc only to be given a glorified shed to change in. Another one slightly better was I think refereed by @Yampy.

I've always thought it bizzare to wear such clobber to football, unless it was for a showpiece final perhaps. As a player it used to seem odd when the officials turned up in suits to me. Almost felt like the refs thought they were better than us (obviously that was complete rubbish but you know no better when you're young). Put it this way, if they made suits etc optional from next season I think hardly anyone would wear one.

Last week the CEO of the multi billion pound business I work for came to site. He wore jeans and a polo shirt. Times have changed forever thankfully.

Unless it has changed recently it is mandatory to wear county badge on FA appointments. The only exceptions are if you have been awarded FIFA or three lions badge, if so they should be worn instead.

The match was yesterday and I was the only one of the three of us in a tracksuit and polo shirt. The ref just had a FA badged T-shirt, the other AR was in jeans.

I was also the only one with a county badge. Nobody seemed to care.

Thanks for all the advice anyway.

It was 0-0 at HT, the home team conceded 2 in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half, and brought it back to level. They won on pens. Very enjoyable.

The match was yesterday and I was the only one of the three of us in a tracksuit and polo shirt. The ref just had a FA badged T-shirt, the other AR was in jeans.

I was also the only one with a county badge. Nobody seemed to care.

Thanks for all the advice anyway.

It was 0-0 at HT, the home team conceded 2 in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half, and brought it back to level. They won on pens. Very enjoyable.

FA badged shirt is absolutely fine. Jeans are not

Back