A&H

FIFA referees Claus and Abatti failed CONMEBOL fitness test

The Referee Store
Has this been announced anywhere? Hopefully goalposts don’t get changed a few weeks before any tests…

Has this been announced anywhere? Hopefully goalposts don’t get changed a few weeks before any tests…
It's been communicated to all current level 3 and 4s via an email today. Assuming you're a 5-4 candidate?

The level 3 test has remained the same and the level 4 test is the same in terms of the run/walk test but now requires 2 sprints of 40m in 6.2 seconds with a 1 minute recovery period. (Although most people will get more than 1 minute recovery due to the number of people at the test)

It's been communicated to all current level 3 and 4s via an email today. Assuming you're a 5-4 candidate?

The level 3 test has remained the same and the level 4 test is the same in terms of the run/walk test but now requires 2 sprints of 40m in 6.2 seconds with a 1 minute recovery period. (Although most people will get more than 1 minute recovery due to the number of people at the test)
There was only 5 of us at ours last year
Yes, as referee X says it has come direct from the FA so is official.

This is interesting! (albeit the non-gated 7.5 seconds was for 50m not 40m)

I can think of a few level 4s who are going to be struggling with this!
I might be missing something obvious, but doesn't this make it easier? 50m in 7.5 seconds is 6.67m / second, 40m in 6.2 seconds is 6.45m / second, so you need to travel less distance per second. Add in the timing gates that weren't there before and surely that makes it much easier?

I might be missing something obvious, but doesn't this make it easier? 50m in 7.5 seconds is 6.67m / second, 40m in 6.2 seconds is 6.45m / second, so you need to travel less distance per second. Add in the timing gates that weren't there before and surely that makes it much easier?
Arguably more "explosive" though since you have to reach and exceed the average quicker. Cannot rely on a decent top speed to cover for a slow start

As just said, you get less time to reach top speed and the timing gates make it harder as there’s no hiding place. Previously, people on the borderline would have just been given a pass.

It’s also presumably the prescription test with a 1.5m running start. 6.2s is very generous. Only 2 sprints is also generous. IMHO

Sounds like the FA are repeating the errors of the 1990's, where they want fit referees and thought they could teach them to be good referees.

Left us with Durkin and Riley as our top referees - not a good sign.

Yes, fitness is vital but ability is so much more needed.

Reactions: es1
As just said, you get less time to reach top speed and the timing gates make it harder as there’s no hiding place. Previously, people on the borderline would have just been given a pass.
It is just a timing gate at the end then, not at the start? When I've done fitness tests in the past, albeit not for refereeing, the gates were at the start and the end. So not just for accurate timing but also so that you are already well on the move when the time starts. If just at the end, and you start from still, then yes I agree that would be harder.

It is just a timing gate at the end then, not at the start? When I've done fitness tests in the past, albeit not for refereeing, the gates were at the start and the end. So not just for accurate timing but also so that you are already well on the move when the time starts. If just at the end, and you start from still, then yes I agree that would be harder.
They are at start and end. That's how timing gates work. You get 1.5m which is basically a stride.
The timing gate will eradicate those that "pass" as historically it has never been well invigilated with marginals being given a pass and those that jump the gun.

They are at start and end. That's how timing gates work. You get 1.5m which is basically a stride.
The timing gate will eradicate those that "pass" as historically it has never been well invigilated with marginals being given a pass and those that jump the gun.
Ah right, that makes sense. The one that I did you had a much longer run up than 1.5m. So not really harder to pass, but less likely to get the benefit of the doubt on the timing.

Back