A&H

Final Boro Goal- Save or Attempt to Play the Ball?

Ben77

3-0 Boro. Shot comes in as Bamford is in an offside position. Jansen stretches out a leg and deflects to Bamford who scores. Would that not be an attempted save by the defender and therefore be offside? I wouldn't personally say he was trying to play the ball but block/ control the shot. Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Goal for me. I dont want to bring the Lovern Kane incident back to life but for me, this is a clearer case of defender playing the ball under no pressure or influence, to an attacker who was in an offside position. Not a save for me.

Can't be a save as too far from goal. Onside for me, he's made an attempt to play the ball and it has deflected (not rebounded) to Bamford who at that point is onside.

I was sat right behind the goal when it was scored (obviously not as good as view as the linesman) gut instinct was onside; personally think it was the right decision. Call me biased but I that was my view of the incident, and couldn't have got any closer to it

Save for me. He stopped a shot on target reaching the goal.

He's also reacting to a ball that was played at him rather than moving towards the ball so would class it as a rebound/deflection anyway

The only video I've got of it looks like a deflection rather than an attempt to play the ball. I can't say with any confidence though.

IMO it's a save and a deflection.

Law 11: A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

I can certainly see where the distance and speed of the shot stretches the definition of save here though.

Save is defined by the laws as ...

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

For me that is way too far from goal to qualify as a save.

As AR am not flagging that, I might however, get referee over to confirm player was in an offside position and also to make sure we are in agreement about the defenders actions. Obv with comms I might not get him over
As ref, if that flag goes up, and hoping am tuned in enough to realise why, and simply over ruling it, if I felt I had to, i would go over for the chat
Save for me, as basic as it sounds, conjours up the image of a gk save, without of course use of hands, the defender here for me merely kicks the ball to the striker.
Interesting on last nights, no protests also. Although a lot of that could be down to Leeds giving up.

For me that is way too far from goal to qualify as a save.
One of the great examples that was held up by FIFA as a save last year took place at the top of the penalty area.

Yes, a full 18 yards from goal.

For you, how close to goal does a player need to be to qualify as a save?

IMO this is a deflection irregardless of whether it was a save. There was a shot with a decent amount of pace and the defender reacts with an outstretched leg.

p5xD09T.jpg

It's a little similar to the example given by PRO in their deflection/deliberate quiz involving Brazil and Gambia (I think). It's one of the examples, but they're given in random order so I can't provide the direct link.

https://www.proassistantreferees.com/deliberate-deflection/

Hi
Onfield reaction was that it was onside. It is a grey one and it could go either way. I am inclined towards played rather than a deflection

GOAL FOR ME

Allow me to explain my thinking behind the above statement

The original shot deflects from a defending player, To Patrick Bamford. The fact that the deflection from the defending player has landed at Bamford's feet, for me anyway Negates any offside Infringement

Offside for me

I cannot judge that he has enough body control to designate his movement as a deliberate attempt.

Save for me. Distance is not mentioned in law. Ball was heading for goal with speed. Bamford was in an offside position so its offside.

Also a not on thread title. 'save' and 'deliberately playing the ball' are not mutually exclusive. You can deliberately play the ball and still be classified as save (and hence result in offside).

It really is a stupid aspect of the law, isn't it?
Let's go back to unless it's a clear, controlled play, then the offside stands. It's absurd that we're punishing defender for trying to stop the ball. You know, their job.

Back