A&H

First 4w-3w promotion observation

DAW7

I've got my first 4w-3w promotion observation this weekend, I've had a few coaching visits this season but have never had a "formal observation".

Just wondering what to expect, and if there are any tips/bits to watch out for/easy stumbling blocks?

All thoughts will be much appreciated.

The Referee Store
I've got my first 4w-3w promotion observation this weekend, I've had a few coaching visits this season but have never had a "formal observation".

Just wondering what to expect, and if there are any tips/bits to watch out for/easy stumbling blocks?

All thoughts will be much appreciated.
Expect a balanced review of your performance by the observer, looking for points to praise in your performance and any areas which would benefit from attention/improvement.
Do the job properly, i. e. go across to manage substitutions if you are to handle those, keep technical areas in order, and manage/control the game in an appropriate way.
Treat every match as though there is an observer there, or treat every match as though there is not - it's when match officials try to change to please an observer that things look untidy.
Most of all - listen, learn, thank.

Read the competencies you'll be observed against - I think they're here, but not 100% sure.

Arrive with plenty of time, know your competition rules, make sure the observer sees you doing your pre-match checks.

Once the game kicks off, try to referee as normally as you can. Trying to perform for the observer is going to throw you off your game, and will probably stink of someone putting on a performance.

There are little adjustments you can make, like ensuring you "finish" your runs, making sure your gestures to set up a PI caution are super-clear, ensuring the formal processes like subs/cautions/ceremonial FK's are spot-on. But any other changes like trying to adjust your foul tolerance, use of advantage or the way you interact with players is going to cause more harm than help. So in all those respects, just do your normal thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for comments guys. Had the observation today... wasn't happy with my own performance, never really felt like I had total control of the game, but the observer was happy enough. Will see what they actually thought when the report lands!

Main focus will be on positioning and anticipation.

Thanks for comments guys. Had the observation today... wasn't happy with my own performance, never really felt like I had total control of the game, but the observer was happy enough. Will see what they actually thought when the report lands!

Main focus will be on positioning and anticipation.
Going for 4w-3w next year, I'm sure you did well enough! Best thing is to really learn from feedback

Back