A&H

First assessment of the season

svenny76

RefChat Addict
So my season started last Saturday, 1st middle at senior county level (development game) and assessed as well!!
Actually really grateful for an early assessment, so i can work hard on my development areas, which i can usually write before the games starts
1. Fitness
2. positioning

Both of which i am trying to work on, i do believe positioning will sort itself when i am fit enough.
But really happy with this report and it was a challenging fixture!

Thoughts, feedback??

Attachments

• Simon assessment.doc
    216 KB · Views: 136
The Referee Store
Good report mate - nice to get the season off with a good assessment!

yeah the assessor filled out the old form on the day and fed that back to me, as this had a lot more info in it, and then completed this one for the official report. I do like this new one though!

So here's my 2nd report, i thought it was a tougher game than what the assessor put, similar to my first assessment.
Bit upset with the fitness comments, yes, i am overweight and unfit.
Did this affect the game?
Did i miss anything?
Did i get any calls wrong?

No, no and no.

26 fouls given in the game, 3 yellows, penalty appeal inside the box where i was perfectly positioned not to give it.
And my GPS watch tells me my distance was 4.4 miles.

I know i need to not focus on the marks, but concentrate on what is written.

onwards and upwards and continue to work on my fitness, get wider (on the pitch) and get those arms up in position.

Apart from that, some more great comments to work on

Attachments

• SV Assessment 6-5 (2).docx
    195.7 KB · Views: 22
Svenny fitness and positioning are criteria you have to meet, doesn't matter that the assessor didn't spot any mistakes that's a different section. 26 fouls seems on the high side for a normal game, if you were closer to play maybe your presence would've prevented some of them?

Last edited:
2 assessments have highlighted the need to improve mobility.....

Unfortunately some assessors are more worried about appearances than results.....to them it's irrelevant that you didn't miss anything etc....

The sad fact is that overweight referees clumping around the pitch does not fit the image that the FA wish to have for refreeing.....they started with the age bias towards young.referees a few years ago...only a matter of time before they started on the more rotund referees.

They have wanted to introduce mandatory fitness testing for all levels for a while now, but the realisation that it would decimate the ranks of grass roots refs, leading to hundreds of uncovered games has stayed their hand.....for now.

The trick is to walk off the pitch knowing that you have given the best performance you can and take the assessors opinions as just that....opinions.

Promotion is not the be all and end all of life.....nor is it a sprint....work on what you want to work on....and eventually it will fall into place.....

A development point in one assessment could be a blip. When it appears in two assessments, you need to take heed of it.

Movement and positioning is very important in refereeing. You need to be in the right place at the right time. Please take stock of what you are being advised.

You mentioned covering 4.4 miles. That's 7 km. By way of comparison, I was covering 10-11 km in an average game going 6-5.

The assessor should not be saying things like "matches at this level". He should only comment on what he has seen on the day. With regards to the mobility and pace comments (I have been around 110Kg for most of my referee career - an ex-rugby league prop forward), I used to get these as well but I was covering up to 7 miles a game. A distance of 4.4 miles does seem on the low side, even if you were working with NARs.

@bester
I talk to the players through out the game, a foul is a foul at the end of the day. Perhaps this saturday you count how many fouls you actually give and how many you have prevented.

Mewcenary: the assessments were 2 weeks apart, so if i was fat and unfit 2 weeks prior there is nothing that is going to change in a 2 week period is there really. I know there are many L5 and L4 referee's who go out and put in next to no effort and get no where near 5km let alone your 11km. I certainly dont go out to compare myself with anyone.
I go out and give a performance to the best of my ability, and at the end of the day if that isnt good enough, i'm sure my fixtures will dry up and i'll be advised i'm not required.
Unfortunately i am not blessed with fitness, i do how ever have a good knowledge of the game as played at L4 standard, so this certainly helps me read the game better than a super fit never played the game but knows the LOTG inside out but has no common sense referee (a hell of a lot of L4's i've worked with so far fall in to this category)

There are some good positives on this report which i will take away, and of course i am still working on my fitness, which wont come over night.

Back