A&H

Junior/Youth First game on Wednesday, nervous!

antsherratt

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

Firstly I am new to the site and have recently passed my basic referees course. I have been talking to a league secretary for a while who gave me a place provided I pass the course which I did. I have been given a friendly on Wednesday evening, 7 a side and its only under 9s so a nice introduction. Has anyone got any tips for me, ie what to do when I get there, and how to react to certain situations because their only young etc?

Thanks in advance :D

Anthony

The Referee Store
Make sure you find both managers as soon as you arrive, go about everything professionally... Stay calm and stay confident, clear arm signals and good verbal communication.

Most importantly... ENJOY

The younger they are the more explanation they may need for fouls etc.
And no offside if my memory serves me correctly.

U9's won't require you to do too much. Make sure you know the timings of games/halves but just enjoy it. Like Josh said you might need to explain your decisions more. You will give a foul and then everyone will look at you with a confused face wondering what happened.

As others have said, you won't have to give too much but explain your decisions. Make sure you know your timings and remember to start your watch (not that I'm speaking from experience :hmmm:).

Other than that, go out there and enjoy it.

Good luck :)

With U9's you shouldn't get any major issues at all, players should behave there's no puberty related hormones to cause hell either. I ditto the above also, they won't understand what they're doing wrong so explain it a bit more, go down to their level so you're at eye level with them I tend to find that it helps, not sure why mind... Oh also give them lot's of positive comments to encourage them I tend to shout out things like; "Good battling", "Good shot" and things like that, tends to help I find

Just make sure you know of any strange rules the league might have regarding throw ins, goal kicks etc.
And remember to START YOUR WATCH

It went well thanks, not much happened really as it was only a friendly but was a nice introduction. Had to give a penalty for a blatant handball that was about it. Also was asked to be assistant referee for two u9s cup finals this morning! Enjoying it :D

Back