A&H

First Game Tomorrow

First game tomorrow is an academy game, speaking to a friend of mine, there is no cards in academy games, can someone clarify this?
It's u16's, when its time for KO, do I go and knock on the changing room doors, or blow my whistle or..?
Warming up time what does everyone wear whilst warming up? Looking into a referee training shirt, but only just getting started, finished my course the other week.

Cheers for the help!

The Referee Store
Warming up just wear some relatively neatish training stuff. I normally wear black shorts and t-shirt with my boots.

Getting the teams together prior to kick off depends entirely on where you are. Some grounds will have a button in the referees changing room that rings a bell in the teams changing rooms.

You might find the teams are already out warming up prior to kick off, or you might not have proper changing rooms. It all depends on where the game is being played.

As for cards I couldn't say as I've never done an academy match, but there have been posts on here by others saying they've been told there are no cards.

Not much help, but good luck with the game

Warming up just wear some relatively neatish training stuff. I normally wear black shorts and t-shirt with my boots.

Getting the teams together prior to kick off depends entirely on where you are. Some grounds will have a button in the referees changing room that rings a bell in the teams changing rooms.

You might find the teams are already out warming up prior to kick off, or you might not have proper changing rooms. It all depends on where the game is being played.

As for cards I couldn't say as I've never done an academy match, but there have been posts on here by others saying they've been told there are no cards.

Not much help, but good luck with the game

Cheers! Theres 2/3 other teams playing on the day, so not sure what will go on. will just play it by here. Got to meet the secretary before hand so will ask him about the card etc.

Makes sense. Chances are that the teams will be out on the pitch prior to kick off so won't need to be summoned.

Let's us know how you get on, there's a lot of helpful people here with a lot of knowledge, so chances are someone will be able to help with any question you have.

With respect to cards, I would assume you're using them as normal unless specifically told otherwise. I've seen this applied at U16 academy matches, but I'm sure you'll be told on the day.

Game ended 2-2. Disappointed with my performance.. Felt like I had a bright first 'third', second 'third' My mind went blank and I was forgetting all my signals etc, third, third, I gave a pen, changed my mind and gave a free kick to the opposition, but it wasn't a free kick offence, what should I have done? That was the only major mistake I made really. Players were on your back if you missed a niggle, but were praising you when you made the right decision.

But you're still alive right?

That's the important thing after a first game!

For future reference up here generally academy games U14 and below we try to avoid cards, but with rolling subs if a manager sees you talking to one of his players as if you would ordinarily caution they'll bring them off anyway.

Chin up mate!

Game ended 2-2. Disappointed with my performance.. Felt like I had a bright first 'third', second 'third' My mind went blank and I was forgetting all my signals etc, third, third, I gave a pen, changed my mind and gave a free kick to the opposition, but it wasn't a free kick offence, what should I have done? That was the only major mistake I made really. Players were on your back if you missed a niggle, but were praising you when you made the right decision.

players were on your back if you don't give a decision their way and praising you if you give them a decision you mean;)

Chin up bud ... even the best of bad games (not to say you had a bad game, maybe just a bad KMD?

you'll pick it up as you go, earth wasn't made in a day, Rome wasn't built in a day and Howard Webb didn't get the World Cup final in his first season! this is literally the start of your journey ...

as for training equip. I (and I find most refs too) will wear their shorts and socks (build up! unless you have joggers on) and then a plain black/nike black/black a hint of white/ or the new illuminous yellow t shirt on (basically same as the players, shirt is only worn for the match itself)

A&H are doing a cracking deal on the new Nike training range - £200 for the lot!

most importantly though, good luck in future and enjoy it!

Back