A&H

Open Age First game...

heedmatt

Level 7 Referee
First fixture is this Sunday after completing the basic course today, feeling reasonably confident at the moment but certain that will change by the weekend.

Any hints/tips greatly appreciated!

The Referee Store
Try to enjoy it , learn as you go , watch your fellow refs and take what you like from them and discard what you dont .....oh yea dont forget to check your kit at least 20 times before you leave and probably once on route

Good luck with it :)

Is your first game Open Age or Youth? If Youth, make sure you know what the duration of each half is. U11/U12 - 30, U13/U14 - 35, U15/U16 - 40, U18/OA - 45. I always start my watches before blowing for kick-off, just to make sure they're running. Finally, don't turn up 5 minutes before kick-off - get there with plenty of time to introduce yourself, get the admin done, check the pitch / goals, player kit check etc. Don't worry about any mistakes you might make, as regardless of whether a decision is a mistake or not, one team will invariably be on your back over it - just let that wash over you, and remember - most players / coaches / managers / parents / spectators will not know the LOTG like you do. Most importantly - enjoy yourself!

It's Open Age this Sunday. Aiming to get there approx 40 mins beforehand...I think this will give me enough time to get everything done?

not really true...when i played, and the team ive got next Sunday...we used to get to the ground an hour before k/o - get changed and have a natter, 1/2 warm up (with the referee chat and ringer check in between) then leaves 10 minutes to talk tactics or tictacs and get on the pitch ready for the coin toss and start

'a team that are well organised, play organised'

All went seemingly ok in the end. One team turned up 10 minutes before kick off typically, hah. Gave a penalty that could have been viewed as 'soft' but there was definitely contact there and he was no where near the ball. Finished 3-2 in the end, with the losing team scoring with 10 mins to go, making it 3-2, which made it quite a fiesty final 10, but I think I controlled it well enough. No major whinging from either team really throughout the match. 1 out of 6 done, happy days!

Yea but your still gonna get there 20 mins before the teams ? :rolleyes:
Im not gonna sit here with a smug grin on my face saying "i told you so " .......:D

But.............................................I told you so

I always get there at least half an hour before ......gives you plenty of time to sort yourself out

Back