A&H

First horror tackle of the night

The Referee Store
Probably end up playing better if you did!
😂😂 Almost as it he’d rather see an injured player than a fair challenge. He also said asked if ‘these people (referees I presume) have never played football before’. Classic.

Hardly a horror tackle though..... drama queen or what!!! Yes it's red in todays snowflake game but i'd reserve the term 'horror' for much worse than that!!

Hardly a horror tackle though..... drama queen or what!!! Yes it's red in todays snowflake game but i'd reserve the term 'horror' for much worse than that!!
Hmmm, for me the height is pretty grim as well as the studs showing. Lucky he wasn’t hurt badly in my opinion

Don't agree, it is an absolute horror tackle. If that challenge catches a planted leg you are talking a potentially career ending challenge, just no place for it.

Tha Blades paid £1million for John Ebrell, he played 30 minutes in two seasons because someone stood on his blooming toe!!! ANY tackle can break a leg, doesn't even have to be hard!!! Its a luck thing!!!

Don't agree, it is an absolute horror tackle. If that challenge catches a planted leg you are talking a potentially career ending challenge, just no place for it.
This kind of tackle is fairly unusual in professional football these days. But I think Sheff is implying that there's a lot worse out there in the lower echelons of the game

This kind of tackle is fairly unusual in professional football these days. But I think Sheff is implying that there's a lot worse out there in the lower echelons of the game

Not sure I agree. I saw plenty of those in the likes of the Ryman and Southern Leagues, but I can't recall any like that in the last three years that I've been back at Sunday morning level.

What’s the worst challenge you’ve seen whilst refereeing? Genuinely curious

18 man brawl for a good 5 minutes, very very intense, proper punches, blood, the lot then a goalkeeper ran 60 yards and kicked a prone midfielder in the temple with as much venom as you could generate with a kick. We heard a noise then that I never want to hear again of a player on the floor that we thought was dead. Eyes were not facing the same way and he not with us....ALL fights instantly stopped at that exact moment and I called the ambulance. Police involved and 2 men banned for 5 years, 2 others got 3 game bans including the prone player. He was involved in the first fight in the first half and the start of the final one!! .....In a game etc i've seen far far worse tackles that that!!

Last edited:
Wow, that is awful. Only 5 years too?? Shame people have to resort to that. Hope everyone was alright in the end...
Player was no angel and had two older brothers, in previous games I'd carded them all but he met his match moving to a much younger team with 18-20 year olds etc without the protection of his older brothers as back up... He had one of those surley faces and mannerisms that wound up opponents and referees and was a walking card. That said, no-one deserves what he got. GK I heard was a trialist and had served time at Her Majesty's pleasure so he bided his time before inflicting the assault.

Back