A&H

First L7-6 coaching observation done

Redref34

Level 5 Referee
First observation (coaching) done at the weekend from 7-6. Happy with the result. One main thing to work on positioning which I knew already.

I have read all the threads on positioning. The problem I am having is I am running to narrow a diagonal. I find myself getting in the way a lot in the middle of the park.

Does anyone have any quick fixes for trying to get out of the way in the middle? Apart from running a wider diagonal which I suppose is the obvious, I tried this in a youth game today but I still got in the way.

Thanks

The Referee Store
First observation (coaching) done at the weekend from 7-6. Happy with the result. One main thing to work on positioning which I knew already.

I have read all the threads on positioning. The problem I am having is I am running to narrow a diagonal. I find myself getting in the way a lot in the middle of the park.

Does anyone have any quick fixes for trying to get out of the way in the middle? Apart from running a wider diagonal which I suppose is the obvious, I tried this in a youth game today but I still got in the way.

Thanks
Try to avoid the centre circle, certainly standing in it but also running through it. If you aim to run to the left of it that will naturally force you wider and also keep you out of the high traffic area and means you are less likely to get in the way. There are sometimes when you can't and shouldn't, e.g. play is switched to the right wing in an attacking area, you have no choice but to run straight through the centre circle, but it is useful as a general rule of thumb.

Every game is different so there's no one-size-fits-all.
Usually we talk about avoiding the centre circle but...
Maybe it's not all about how wide you are, but also about how high/low.

Are you getting into trouble during transitions, or when one team is holding the ball and playing across midfield?
If it's during transitions, then the problem for a lot of referees is that they don't go. If you are going to go, then go! Usually diagonal, and often you might have to bend a run a bit to the outside to let players run across you.
If it's during possession, then don't be afraid to have your back to goal 25-35 yards out if a team is holding it at half way. Sometimes it can feel cramped and you have to keep your wits about you and be ready to get out of the way. Often close to behind a defender is OK, as no one is going to play a short pass there!

Another one that's hard is goal kicks. If there are a lot of long central goal kicks then start wide, close to the touch line. But if they are playing it short and there's lots of action then you need to start more central and closer to goal, so you can get to your corner fast if you need.

Another is that some refs just get too close. Sometimes it can be useful to breathe on a problem player, but you see much more from 8-12 yards than you do from 4-6. That close and you are more likely to get in the way, block players and not be able to see arms and feet.

Try to avoid the centre circle, certainly standing in it but also running through it. If you aim to run to the left of it that will naturally force you wider and also keep you out of the high traffic area and means you are less likely to get in the way. There are sometimes when you can't and shouldn't, e.g. play is switched to the right wing in an attacking area, you have no choice but to run straight through the centre circle, but it is useful as a general rule of thumb.
Someone told me to treat the centre circle as "quicksand", so if you run though quickly - no problem. Standing it becomes a problem.

As Chas has said, forget trying to do a diagonal at grassroots football. You are better think about a good angle on play from a credible distance. There can be a trade off between closeness to the play and getting a clear view. The most important is the clear view, you can always run closer to the instance as you blow the whistle to give the impression that you were already close when you gave the decision.

“Avoid standing still” such good advice.

When the ball is the air, if you are standing still, you are missing out - don’t watch the ball, watch the players - and use the time the ball is in the air to get a good position - usually means getting side-on to the drop zone - also means getting out of the way and being prepared for the next phase.

The diagonal was taught up until recently (Indeed, it still gets a full page image in the book)
However, someone somewhere has now decided it's not all its cracked up to be after all (cracks me up tho 😂). You'll also get observers/coaches claim P&M is a function of the level at which you Referee (which I don't agree with)
Too much is made of P&M in respect to guidance (like the diagonal, or S bend or whatever). You'll be left tied in knots satisfying someone else's agenda.
Ultimately, your P&M is good if your foul recognition is better than the next man's (or woman's). That roughly equates to keeping an optimal distance from play whilst always working an unobstructed view from an angle which has some degree of side-on aspect

I don't worry about P&M too much. I just work hard to achieve what I've described above. It's not as complicated as some would make out IMO

Last edited:
Back