A&H

First Match

Ben Green

Level 8 Referee
I have my first match refereeing on saturday. This match will only be U8s so I'm quite confident I'll have no problems.

However I have a few queries regarding the pre-match procedure.

1) What do I say to the home manager when I arrive?
2) Should I ask for the match fee at the beginning?
3) Shall I do the respect handshake considering the kids are only 8 years old.

The Referee Store
For question 1 I would say just introduce yourself, and perhaps take that opportunity to ask for the match balls. Chances are they won't be ready by then, but no harm in asking and shows you are on the ball and being proactive.

Questions 2 and 3 depend on competition rules. Some competitions say referees should be paid before the game, some say after the game. Personally I wouldn't advise asking for the fee upon arriving at the ground as that may give the impression that you are only there for the money. If the rules require you to be paid before the game then I would ask politely if you haven't been paid shortly before kick off.

If the respect handshake is required it will be in the rules. If it isn't in there you could ask the team managers if they want to do it, but personally I wouldn't bother.

1) When you first turn up, keep it simple along the lines of "Hi, I'm Ben, your ref today" and then just have a casual chat for a bit. I usually turn up around 30-45 minutes before kick off, so when I first turn up, it's easy to say something along the lines of "can you make sure you get the match balls to me well before KO" and warn him that you'll need to do a kit inspection at some point, without insisting it has to happen immediately and giving off a demanding first impression.

I'd also try to find the away team manager pretty soon after and do roughly the same with him.

2) Similarly to above, I would almost certainly say no to this. Make sure you don't leave the ground post-match without being paid, but it's not unusual to be given your money at the end of the match in my experience. If the manager wants to give you the cash pre-match, that's his call, but I can't remember the last time I had to make a fuss about this.

3) Again, I doubt it. I mostly do open age football and before this season where one of my leagues introduced it as mandatory, my general rule was that Respect handshakes were only worth doing when working in a team of 3. Check the competition rules for definite answers to both questions 2 and 3, but if in doubt, go with what the managers are expecting and are used to doing rather than pushing a different process onto them.

I go with what the others have said.

Normally I will try to get to my match about an hour before, and the first thing I will do is find the two coaches (if they're there before me). Just a simple hi I'm your ref blah blah blah will suffice. Over time as you start doing the same teams again you'll start to get to know the managers so the pre match chats normally get a bit longer.

When you get paid should be in the league rules. One league I do specify that you must be paid before the game teams share the fee so it's probably to make sure no one "forgets" to pay and goes home. However most leagues don't specify so I just go with the flow and teams can either pay me before or after the game, basically whatever is easiest for them.

Although, I have forgotten to get paid a couple of times.

Respect handshake, I've never done one outside of county cup matches, and isthmian development games. if it isn't mentioned in the league rules and you're not sure you could ask the managers.

Stay in your car, indicate left for the attacking team and right for defending team. Your horn is the whistle. :redcard:.. Keep the heater on, it will be a bit parky outside for the little cherubs!!! You'll be Ok though, take a flask, and some jelly beans too....You should be up for promotion in a few weeks!!! :cool:

Stay in your car, indicate left for the attacking team and right for defending team. Your horn is the whistle. :redcard:.. Keep the heater on, it will be a bit parky outside for the little cherubs!!! You'll be Ok though, take a flask, and some jelly beans too....You should be up for promotion in a few weeks!!! :cool:

Sorry @Sheffields Finest - the observer sits in the car! The referee going for promotion has to get cold, wet and yelled at. It is the only way we know they are good enough to do a line at Scarborough in the middle of Winter (so mid-April).

Back