A&H

First Red Card

magpie1892

Level 7 Referee
Just had my first red card, 25 games into refereeing (first full season)

10 minutes into second half with the home team winning 3-0, the away player didn't get a decision and then turned and called me a f*****g cheat. Called him and his captain over and asked him if he felt it was dissent or offinabus, to which he replied both, I explained it was offinabus and showed him the red card and off he went.

Cue the manager shouting that's only a yellow ref :D

Manager wasn't happy and told me afterwards than I had spoilt the game, however the player came over at full time shook my hand and apologised and said it was out of order.

The Referee Store
Well done. There have been, and will be many more, referees who fail to dismiss having been called a 'cheat', so well done for dealing with a clear case of OFFINABUS.

I personally wouldn't bother calling the captain in when dismissing a player, that's more for the stepped approach before a caution. If it worked though, then fair enough.

After the game, you can politely explain to the manager, that if anyone is to blame for spoiling the game, then it is his player for leaving you no option but to show him the red card.

Now onto the next one!

I think I am lenient with cards and can take a bit of stick from junior players but when the F & c words are used id decided the colour straight away

Back