A&H

First red card!

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Into my fourth match of my refereeing career and I bring the red card out for the first time. This was one of the things which made me nervous about refereeing, constantly saying to my self 'this has got to be correct'.

Thankfully it was a straight forward one. Red player running with the ball and is tripped by the blue player. I blow up and was about to call blue over for a caution. Next thing the two players are squaring up to each other and I few words are exchanged, the usual 'you're a such and such' rubbish. Then the red player grabs the blue player by the throat and thankfully, his captain grabs hold of him and pulls him away before it escalates any further.

Thankfully my first red was an easy one to get out the way!

The Referee Store
My first red was questionable so the rest of the match made me nervous about my abilities. A straight forward red will give you more confidence, so the next red will be easy.

Well done, it's very easy to bottle your first red, as I did. I still remember it to this day, but I learned from it, and that is the important thing. Grass roots or Premier League, a red card is a red card and you cannot be grabbing players by the throat.

It's good sometimes to think about decisions, but don't overthink it too much. If you have a gut feeling that something is a red, because you know based on your experience, you should not doubt yourself. Obviously I'm not saying guess it's a red card, but there are times when you just know 100% no doubt he has to go.

Well done! Nice to get it under your belt :)

One thought to consider for future ... the quicker you can get to the spot of the foul, the less chance there is of players kicking off like this. Often it's not possible but worth having in your mind

Well done, it is nice to have an easy one as the first. The thing to focus on for future ones is the process. I know with my first one I was so panicked that it was my first one I totally messed up the process. I didn't make him go to the changing rooms, and I showed the card before I'd taken his name so he obviously just walked off! Fortunately I had team sheets, but that incident made me recognise why the process is so important, so I now make extra effort to slow down, get the process right.

I had a mass con on Saturday that involved a couple of yellows and a red. The red was for a player running the length of the field and screaming 'I'm going to kill you, you f****** p****' at one of the opposition players. As soon as I heard it, I knew I had to send him off but it was about a minute before it all simmered down enough for me to start the process, by which time he'd calmed down and was perfectly polite when I was talking to him. His face when I pulled the red card out was the perfect mix of anger and confusion, and it caused a few more arguments from his team mates as they couldn't understand what the issue was.

Well done, it is nice to have an easy one as the first. The thing to focus on for future ones is the process. I know with my first one I was so panicked that it was my first one I totally messed up the process. I didn't make him go to the changing rooms

That's one thing I didn't do and one of the players still on the pitch kept shouting at me, 'Why is he still allowed at the side of the pitch'. They didn't have changing rooms due to refurbishment so I was very much caught between a rock and a hard place at this point so just asked the player to retreat towards the building where the changing rooms would be. He had no issue with that but the players on the pitch did! (Another booking followed this).

Back