A&H

Footwear

AHoops18

Level 7 Referee
Hello,

My referee course is this Friday night and I need recommendations of what type of footwear should be worn on a 3g pitch.

Thanks

The Referee Store
That really depends on the pitch. You are absolutely safe with moulded studs, some allow astro boots, almost none allow metal studs or running shoes.

Surely the running shoes restriction is for players?

(At least here, most pitches are synthetic variants and most refs use runners of some kind)

Hello,

My referee course is this Friday night and I need recommendations of what type of footwear should be worn on a 3g pitch.

Thanks
The best bet is to ask the person who set up the course, as they will know the answer to your question (and should have let you know, to avoid any embarrassment)
Enjoy the course👍

(At least here, most pitches are synthetic variants and most refs use runners of some kind)
i remember going to do the pre-match instructions on a local 3G pitch (we were in tracksuits and trainers/running shoes). we were stopped at the gate and asked not to enter the pitch without approved footwear. apparently flat soled shoes damage some part of the turf/crumb...

though many facilities aren't quite as militant as this one is

No, some grounds don't let anyone on the pitch unless they have moulded studs on. At one cup final we had to do the medal and trophy presentations from behind the pitch barrier as they wouldn't let us inside it.

Flat soled shoes are a nightmare for the life span of 3G pitches, essentially crushes the crumb into a solid mass rather than the light fluffy surface it should be.

If you're on 3G, molded studs all the way and you'll be fine.

Although that looks like an FA document it's actually just for one venue (Stoneham Lane in Hampshire). Some places will not let you on with "Astro" trainers and most won't let you on with screw-in studs regardless of length.

Reactions: ARF
Back