A&H

Foul throw

MumRef

Hello all,
I was under the impression that throws have to go in the air, not straight down at a team member's feet. But this isn't mentioned in the Laws of the Game. Is a throw legal as long as it is from both hands behind the head?

The Referee Store
Here we go again 😬

Yes. This is correct. I recently wrote to IFAB who confirmed the trajectory of the throw is not a consideration but the delivery of the ball being thrown from behind and over the head.

Sorry @JamesL I'm new here. OK, well I feel bad for penalising my U13s for so many throws last week. I'm sure in our training we were told about the trajectory. Thank you for clearing that up.

Sorry @JamesL I'm new here. OK, well I feel bad for penalising my U13s for so many throws last week. I'm sure in our training we were told about the trajectory. Thank you for clearing that up.
My tolerance for foul throws is a sliding window based upon age and ability
More often than not, I'll give kids a second chance to get it right after demonstrating for them. Ultimately, most throws (even the ones that look awful) are legal and there's no advantage gained by foul throws, so I'm pretty tolerant overall

Lots of new Referees police these trivial issues too rigidly. Just give the kids a running commentary of what's good and not so good>
They're mostly just learning the game after all

Suggestion: before your next game, at the Respect handshake, tell the players you had to penalise a number of foul throws last week, then demonstrate what is OK.

No need to apologise. There was a recent debate on the forum w/respect to foul throws and it usually throws up a good ol' debate.

I’ll just add one thought for @MumRef. On TIs, when It doubt or it’s close, just let it go. Foul throws are darn near to being the LEAST important calls in the game. Focus on really bad throws, or throws where the player is trying to throw the ball 30 yards. You have bigger fish to fry.

A throw in is just a means to getting the ball back in play. Sometimes they don’t look nice but it doesn’t always mean they’re not legal.
At an attacking throw in near the penalty area I‘m much more interested in watching what 15 or 16 players are doing rather than the thrower’s action so I’ll more than likely only have a peripheral view of the thrower.

Thank you. They are one of the easiest things to spot, though :)
Not really. Because by the sound of it, you've been "spotting" foul throws that weren't. 😉
Law 15 is the simplest of all and is rarely not complied with.
So long as the position of the feet are legal and the ball comes from behind and over the head with both hands - then it's not a foul throw, irrespective of whatever coaches, players or even other referees might tell you. 😉🙂👍

Remember it is just a way of getting the ball back into play, unless it is obviously wrong just get on with it.

You will always get claims from players so just try to placate them, something like "looked messy but legal" has always worked for me.

I had a “showpiece” womens match last week and the first half throw ins from both teams were awful. One foot in the air. Argh! Considering the level I wanted to strangle the coaches! But I also really didn’t want to interfere - as long as there wasn’t a goal chance or throw into the box.

So, I did something rare - at half time I quickly caught a coach from each team and told them - just simply, I don’t want to whistle, but I probably have to, so do it properly.

I was lucky because it was the same for both teams. As Big Cat says, age and ability, if you can have a quick word on the run with the full back who is struggling to throw, then its a great benefit for the game and players and coaches will respect you:)

Not really. Because by the sound of it, you've been "spotting" foul throws that weren't. 😉
Law 15 is the simplest of all and is rarely not complied with.
So long as the position of the feet are legal and the ball comes from behind and over the head with both hands - then it's not a foul throw, irrespective of whatever coaches, players or even other referees might tell you. 😉🙂👍
I still maintain that in my training I was told to watch out that the ball was not thrown directly at a player's feet, but rather up in the air. Now that you good chaps have corrected me, and I have read the IFAB rules very carefully on this, I know not to worry about it. I can still spot if the ball is not behind the head or the feet are off the ground or whatever. I would say that in youth football - U12s and below - it is important for them to know how to do a throw in correctly because otherwise they have an advantage if they are allowed to do it badly because no one can throw very far at that age, and if they are allowed just to lob it in from in front of their head, that's unfair.

My rule #1, #2 & #3 of refereeing: Its hard enough as it is, don't go looking for ways to make it harder. Unless it is so outrageously bad just tell everyone that It's messy but legal and get on with it.

Football does not want 10 foul throws a game and does not expect it. I had a level 5 referee on a step 5 match flag for a foul throw in the first half a couple of weeks ago that was absolutely fine, it just didn't look perfect. Obviously he was politely told to not do that again unless its ridiculously bad.

At lower grass roots or kids football, refs seem to worry about throws that aren't perfect? I see it as a positive. An opportunity for me to tell everyone that it's a rubbish throw but legal and its the same for both sides. That usually stops 90% of the appeals for the rest of the game. It's one of the few circumstances where I'm looking to actively set by bar low

Thank you for all your help. I briefed my U13s today that I didn't expect there to be any foul throws as they were old enough to be able to do the throw ins properly, and I didn't have to call any. Starting a new thread for another issue I had though....

Back