A&H

Free Kicks - Direct & Indirect

Skertser42

Hi All,

I have been studying the LOTG and I just can't fit my head round Direct & Inirect FK's.

Can anyone explain in one or two sentences how to distuingish between them please?

Thanks!

The Referee Store
Hi All,

I have been studying the LOTG and I just can't fit my head round Direct & Inirect FK's.

Can anyone explain in one or two sentences how to distuingish between them please?

Thanks!

Generally,

Except for offside (IDFK), any offence involving physical contact (including spitting) results in a DFK.

Any other offences result in an IFK. :)

Generally,

Except for offside (IDFK), any offence involving physical contact (including spitting) results in a DFK.

Any other offences result in an IFK. :)
Thanks Kes! I've been trying to remeber in my head all the reasons for an IDFK so that everything else will be a DFK!

Direct FKs involve contact, including foul tackles, hand ball, object thrown, striking an opponent or spitting (which may or may not make contact).
IFKs are for non-contact 'technical' infringements, like playing in a dangerous manner, entering & leaving the field of play, offside and verbal offences.
These lists are generalised and not inclusive

Direct FKs involve contact, including foul tackles, hand ball, object thrown, striking an opponent or spitting (which may or may not make contact).
IFKs are for non-contact 'technical' infringements, like playing in a dangerous manner, entering & leaving the field of play, offside and verbal offences.
These lists are generalised and not inclusive
Thank you! I'll eventually figure it out and find a way to remember!

Thank you! I'll eventually figure it out and find a way to remember!
Like @Kes pointed out, the distinction is not ordinarily difficult to make. 'Contact' being the key consideration
There are some more difficult scenarios, but they generally involve leaving/entering the field of play to commit a further offence. Which I wouldn't worry about just yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kes
Thanks Kes! I've been trying to remeber in my head all the reasons for an IDFK so that everything else will be a DFK!
It works better the other way around. Every offence involving contact (kick, push, strike, spit, hold...) plus handball plus offences by team officials on the field are direct. Other offences are indirect.

That should make you right 99.9% of free kicks you give.

Reactions: Kes

Also, experience in games, and keep reading the book. And don't worry too much about the more obscure /uncommon offences, only start to worry more about that as you want to go for promotion and higher levels.

Better to get the basic stuff nailed in matches before looking at things like verbal offences in play or penalty rebound off woodwork back to the kicker etc.

What they said.
Nb worth remembering a goalkeeper who commits a handling offence IN his area (e.g. pass back, picking up a throw-in) is INdirect.
A goalkeeper handling outside his area is a Direct.

What they said.
Nb worth remembering a goalkeeper who commits a handling offence IN his area (e.g. pass back, picking up a throw-in) is INdirect.
A goalkeeper handling outside his area is a Direct.

While the IN may help some as mnemonic, this is one I think the concepts make simple. Outside the PA, a GK is an ordinary player, so anything he does (or is done to him) is exactly the same as any other player. And since the GK is allowed to use hands inside the PA, if he does it at the wrong time it is a technical infraction, not a serious one. But this is also important to know and know well: it can NEVER be a PK (nor misconduct) when a GK handles the ball in the PA.

I agree on the contact as a general guideline--but also keep in mind the "attempt" fouls (kicking, striking, tripping) can be fouls without contact, though there is an attempt at contact for those to be fouls. (These aren't particularly common, but if you have the rare case of a player throwing a punch and missing, after you send him off you wouldn't want to make the mistake of starting with an IFK because there was not contact.)

Back