A&H

Frustrating Level 4 Assessment

I would also advocate that you should be able to appeal for a longer period than 7 days.

I think the opposite. 7 days is plenty time, but I think firstly, there should be a cooling off period. i.e. you can't appeal until after X amount of days after the report is produced, say 5. That gives the referee time to digest and process the report, and takes away the initial, not happy and I am appealing it hopefully reducing the appeals coming from emotion.

And then maybe allow 7 days from then to put in an appeal.

The Referee Store
i'm still sour about mine from earlier this season, if it had been an average mark (which the observer admitted he intended to award) then I would be in quite a good position

instead I realistically need 2 x 73+ games to have any chance
I know you have said you are stepping back at the end of the season, but its the first new annual season now so there's a chance to get back on the horse and forget what's gone already.

I know you have said you are stepping back at the end of the season, but its the first new annual season now so there's a chance to get back on the horse and forget what's gone already.

yeah i'm aware of that, thought has crossed my mind that if I do go well between now and the end of the season that I stick around until the end of the year...

see how it goes!

yeah i'm aware of that, thought has crossed my mind that if I do go well between now and the end of the season that I stick around until the end of the year...

see how it goes!
I think it's more important to ask yourself whether YOU get more out of the game that YOU put in. Enjoyment, exercise, personal development or whatever... rather than drop back because of the Observer's agenda. I strongly believe you can be one of the best Referees in your Supply League without focusing on their 'box ticking' exercise and the scores which don't necessarily reflect ability

My worst game of this season, I scored 72.4
Completely guessed when giving one penalty (on the basis that I may have missed an earlier penalty for the same team), didn't feel particularly well throughout the game (lurgy), was off the pace and rightly averaged 68.5 from the two Clubs. But I ticked a lot of 'assessment boxes' cos I have a good idea of what those tick boxes are. WALOFS. That's where Club Marks get dished when they shouldn't

Last edited:
I think it's more important to ask yourself whether YOU get more out of the game that YOU put in. Enjoyment, exercise, personal development or whatever... rather than drop back because of the Observer's agenda. I strongly believe you can be one of the best Referees in your Supply League without focusing on their 'box ticking' exercise

i enjoy the challenge of reffing at 4, in my area we recently moved to reffing step 5 and 6 up from 7 so it felt like a promotion.

it's not the observers though and more my lifestyle (other outside interests, work and family) which will lead to me stepping back. ultimately something has to give and I'm choosing reffing

i enjoy the challenge of reffing at 4, in my area we recently moved to reffing step 5 and 6 up from 7 so it felt like a promotion.

it's not the observers though and more my lifestyle (other outside interests, work and family) which will lead to me stepping back. ultimately something has to give and I'm choosing reffing
That's fair enough then
Is it only England where we have to travel together, arrive 90 mins before KO, fanny about in Board Rooms afterwards and ultimately spend up to 8 hours out the house for a game of football?

Reactions: es1
That's fair enough then
Is it only England where we have to travel together, arrive 90 mins before KO, fanny about in Board Rooms afterwards and ultimately spend up to 8 hours out the house for a game of football?

yeah that's definitely a part of it. I'll still ref though certainly more local and more sundays than saturdays and very few midweeks! well that's the plan anyway

That's fair enough then
8 hours? Is that it?
340 mile round trip this weekend. Leaving at about 930 and don't expect to be back before the 9PM. Observer too.

Last edited:
yeah that's definitely a part of it. I'll still ref though certainly more local and more sundays than saturdays and very few midweeks! well that's the plan anyway
But that changes if you get promoted to 3?

That's fair enough then
If you are worried about that you might as well not worry at all about your marks, as it gets a lot worse at L3. Not uncommon for referees wanting you there 3 hours before for National League games, especially on Saturdays.

Back