A&H

Frustration = loss

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
Todays match Blue vs Grey and Grey top of the league unbeaten in 8 games Blues third one loss one draw and 6 wins.
Knew it was going to be a tasty match albeit on 3G pitch. One minute gone Blues go 1-0 up and Greys moaning at each other. End to end football all going well till Blues go 2-0 up then Greys start appealing for everything .... nudges,pushes even slight contact on one of their players they wanted a free kick. First half ends 2-0.
Greys come out second half all guns blazing within 5 minutes they score 2-1. Greys still berating their own team mates whinging and moaning. Another 10 minutes and greys concede a stone wall penalty and did they moan 2 players earn themselves a yellow for dissent.
Penalty missed ! Within a couple of more minutes greys score again 2-2. But still moaning at each other and starting to lose their composure and again concede a goal 3-2. Yet again appealing for everything and moaning at each other, grey forward in box and gets pushed penalty awarded ... and they miss ! (record for me that, 2 penalty misses in one match) penalty taker got some stick for that so much so i ask players to calm down..Greys start a good passing attack falls to feet of grey forward and he buries it in the bottom corner 3-3.
Both sides wanting the win with 6 minutes left blue player kicks ball to blue forward.... i see blue forward start his run as ball goes over, ball in flight and he runs past two defenders ( not offside) then i see lino flagging for the offside and i shout " play on he's not off" blue player zigzags past another defender and chips the keeper 4-3... and yes the greys go mad " he was off, lino flagged" in the resulting caution for the grey defender the captain approaches me and says "why wasn't he off?" and i explained that when the ball was kicked there were two defenders in front of him and when the ball was overhead he dodged past both of them therefore he was not off and the lino was wrong.
Then both sides playing some very good football enjoy to watch.
That's how it finished, not one hand shake from the grey team but the manager comes over to shake my hand shaking his head before i could say anything he says "if only my players played football instead of moaning"

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Back