A&H

Fulham - Everton

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Current as at 48’

Two points so far. Mitrovic foul on halfway could have been red for SFP midway through the first half. For me yes, but certainly a subjective call. Certainly Frank Lampard wanted red.

Then on 47’ Willian takes a tumble in the Everton area. Initial call of no penalty stands. Much more comfortable with that call as it looked trifling contact.

I’d like to think that Lampard won’t blame the team/VAR if Everton lose, not least as the calls have gone 1 for each side. Colour me unsurprised if this isn’t the case however.

The Referee Store
I was happy with a yellow but as you said above, can see arguments for both. Personally I think Mitrovic has gone to plant his foot and the Everton player has slid underneath, but I’ve only seen one replay

Just seen a video of the potential Red card and this just smacks of the more newer PL referees going with the safer option knowing VAR is in the background because if Brooks just sees that as a yellow, then I dread to think what his threshold for a red card is when it comes to SFP. It's over the top of the ball, above the ankle, Everton player leg planted in there where a leg break could easily happen, it really should be a simple red card.

A referee like Anthony Taylor for example I would have no doubt would see that as a red right away.

Real time the Mitrovic challenge looks much less like a red card than when you slow it down, I think a caution is probably just about the right outcome and the relative lack of force gets him off the hook.

Back