A&H

Fully over the line or not? Can you be sure?

Phil4m

Level 7 Referee
This incident occurred during my son's U18s game (not myself refereeing though). At 1-1 our keeper 'appeared' to save a goal by stopping the ball on the line, just beside the right-hand post, after it slowly bouncing off it. The build-up was a fast break and a saved shot onto the post. The save took almost all of the pace out of the shot. The ref was sprinting through the middle 3rd (just over the halfway line) as the shot was taken and finally coming to rest at the start of the final 3rd and awarded a goal.

How!?

After the game he admitted to a player he wasn't 100% sure that it had fully crossed the line.

What was a little annoying was that I had a near identical scenario earlier that day and I didn't award the goal for the same reason and I was closer to the action.

The Referee Store
This incident occurred during my son's U18s game (not myself refereeing though). At 1-1 our keeper 'appeared' to save a goal by stopping the ball on the line, just beside the right-hand post, after it slowly bouncing off it. The build-up was a fast break and a saved shot onto the post. The save took almost all of the pace out of the shot. The ref was sprinting through the middle 3rd (just over the halfway line) as the shot was taken and finally coming to rest at the start of the final 3rd and awarded a goal.

How!?

After the game he admitted to a player he wasn't 100% sure that it had fully crossed the line.

What was a little annoying was that I had a near identical scenario earlier that day and I didn't award the goal for the same reason and I was closer to the action.
You were right he was wrong.

You dont see it you dont give it. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

I've seen worse with a club appointed ref. Gave a goal from a shot off the crossbar that bounced a yard outside the line. The 'ref' was 30 yards away from it but kindly gave the benefit of the doubt to his home team.

I've seen worse with a club appointed ref. Gave a goal from a shot off the crossbar that bounced a yard outside the line. The 'ref' was 30 yards away from it but kindly gave the benefit of the doubt to his home team.
I have had the same a player, smashed one from 30/35 yards and it bounced down, i just stood there with my hands out stretched saying how the hell i am supposed to see that, play on fellas. Even an NAR wouldn't have got down quick enough to see it as he hit it from so far out.

It's funny though because the attacking teams goalkeeper saw it was over the line from his own goal some 70 yards behind me....amazing eyesight!!

Like @James Long if your not 100% certain you cant give anything.

Back in the day when I regularly ref'd mini-soccer, I would stand on the goal line beyond the far post so I could get all the players in my eye line and watch for potential goal line incidents.

There was a few times where it was a case of right place right time to judge perfectly if the ball had crossed. On one occasion though, my positioning on the goal line didn't stop a group delightful parents, who were stood on the half way line, protesting quite vocally that a ball had crossed the line and that they had been "cheated out of a goal" even though it clearly didn't cross the line and they were winning 18-0 at the time! :confused::mad:

I think the best goal/no goal has it crossed the line incident I have ever seen was during one of my son's u10s games (glad I wasn't ref'n this one), think I mentioned it in another thread many moons ago. Plastic Samba goals, ball hit with some force crashes against crossbar and lands about a yard from the line, but still in play and bounce in the air where the keeper claims it. The whole goal shook. Home parents go mental at their own ref for not giving a goal. Referee's mentor was stood on the side of the pitch trying to explain to said parents why it wasn't a goal, to which one responded "It had to be a goal because the net moved". Ref mentor and us parents within ear shot were trying very hard not to die laughing at the stupidity of the comment! :D

Back