A&H

General ignorance

SLI39

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/823162235585433601

As you will see above, the referee was completely correct in law. I do not quite understand the delay, but he deserves credit.
This is further testament to the reality that professional players, commentators and fans alike do not make an effort to learn the laws. I sometimes ask myself whether I would if I were not a referee, and I conclude that I would at least try to fill holes in my knowledge if confusion were to arise.
Glenn Hoddle and Steve McManaman were similarly guilty last night whilst covering the Manchester City vs. Tottenham match. It is scarcely forgivable to be paid handsomely for your views and not know that from the start of this season a player can become active in his own half, but to compound that with the assumption that an FA referee must have erred (lazy received notions being a safer bet than his expertise) is the height of self-importance.
It is also alarming to see the general consensus of blame being attached to referees rather than the players who commit the fouls or seek to deceive them (see the Sterling/Walker incident). Whether the officials are blessed with more technology or not in the near future, the hammer needs to start falling on the players: greater bans, more intense media scrutiny and other measures if necessary. If referees are to be interviewed, let's seek to clarify and learn something constructive rather than find an excuse to interrogate, or expostulate with, them. I fear interviewers would be told to take the latter approach, bringing little good to anyone.
I am no saint myself when I perceive that a referee has been unfair to my team, but occasional emotion should not invalidate the suggestion to introduce more collective responsibility into the game.

The Referee Store
Does anyone know where the "rule" that has been posted there comes from? It talks about ungentlemanly conduct so either old or not official.

I don't know about the article, but in the 2016/17 LOTG it is on page 86.

A player must be cautioned for USB if...
(The player) uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball (including from a free kick) to the goal keeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the law, whether or not the goal keeper touches the ball with the hands.

If the interview wasn't in English I wouldn't rule out the translation not being word for word as the LOTG

I was aghast at the Hoddle/McManaman exchange. They've even got Sgt. Webb on hand, I'd love to see a clip of his reaction while those two goons were making plums of themselves on national TV.

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/823162235585433601

As you will see above, the referee was completely correct in law. I do not quite understand the delay, but he deserves credit.
This is further testament to the reality that professional players, commentators and fans alike do not make an effort to learn the laws. I sometimes ask myself whether I would if I were not a referee, and I conclude that I would at least try to fill holes in my knowledge if confusion were to arise.
Glenn Hoddle and Steve McManaman were similarly guilty last night whilst covering the Manchester City vs. Tottenham match. It is scarcely forgivable to be paid handsomely for your views and not know that from the start of this season a player can become active in his own half, but to compound that with the assumption that an FA referee must have erred (lazy received notions being a safer bet than his expertise) is the height of self-importance.
It is also alarming to see the general consensus of blame being attached to referees rather than the players who commit the fouls or seek to deceive them (see the Sterling/Walker incident). Whether the officials are blessed with more technology or not in the near future, the hammer needs to start falling on the players: greater bans, more intense media scrutiny and other measures if necessary. If referees are to be interviewed, let's seek to clarify and learn something constructive rather than find an excuse to interrogate, or expostulate with, them. I fear interviewers would be told to take the latter approach, bringing little good to anyone.
I am no saint myself when I perceive that a referee has been unfair to my team, but occasional emotion should not invalidate the suggestion to introduce more collective responsibility into the game.

I dont think the ref was going to give it, as soon as he heads the ball you see the referee run quickly towards the goal keeper and you can imagine him shouting something along the lines of dont pick it up, which he then doesnt. He then allows play to continue a bit before pulling it back. Now i am guessing someone has reminded him of the law in his ear, hence the caution and IDFK.

I could be way of the mark but thats my reading of it.

As for the BT Sport commentators what they know about Law you could write on the back of a postage stamp.

Back