A&H

#GERENG

xPositor

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Is it just in England where we NAR's are taught to hold the flag in the left hand as much as possible (ie hand closest/most visible to the referee)? NAR in the England game only holding it in his right... Or am I just sad for picking up on that?

The Referee Store
Is it just in England where we NAR's are taught to hold the flag in the left hand as much as possible (ie hand closest/most visible to the referee)? NAR in the England game only holding it in his right... Or am I just sad for picking up on that?

Both.

What was with the offside goal!?! How late was that (wrong) flag? So late it's not on any of the replays...what on earth was the delay!?

Also Butland took a goal kick and ball didn't leave area.... played on

Plus the linience with yellow cards (though I suppose after my game today thats a very hypocritical comment!)

Plus the linience with yellow cards (though I suppose after my game today thats a very hypocritical comment!)
...and I hate to have to agree with the commentary, but even they have commented on what should have been cautionable challenges.

Did anyone else notice the referee pointing to the location of an offence rather than the direction of the free kick? I seem to recall a ref doing that in a UEFA game recently as well (can't remember which, but it was either UCL or Europe League).

Did anyone else notice the referee pointing to the location of an offence rather than the direction of the free kick? I seem to recall a ref doing that in a UEFA game recently as well (can't remember which, but it was either UCL or Europe League).
I noticed the referee doing that in the Liverpool vs Man UTD game in the Europa League and found it strange, it took a while sometimes to realise who he was giving it to.

I've kind of done that a few times after signalling the direction (I also differentiate between a high arm to signal direction, before pointing towards the ground at the location of the FK as I move towards it), but agree that it did seem like he was prioritising communicating the location over the direction.

I don't mind someone indicating the correct spot for a restart but only after first indicating the direction of the free kick. As Jacob W mentioned, it can be confusing otherwise, especially when so many fouls involve two players in a tussle for the ball which could end up with a decision going in either direction.

We do it in Australia.

Back