A&H

Giant clearances

You are the sole arbiter of Time, use that power wisely, very wisely!!! If team A have been blatantly wasting time and are hanging on then add as much time as you think you can get away with!!! Don't hold back as the showers will still be warm!!! With any luck they will run out of luck!!!

The Referee Store
This reminds me of a particularly "delightful" youth team I ref'd. Having had a warning about kicking the ball away after it was dead, several of their players thought it was highly amusing to launch the ball as far as they could when it was close to the lines, but still in play. Obviously couldn't card them for it even though everyone knew exactly what they were doing. Whilst we have to be seen to be impartial, have to admit did have an inner sense of satisfaction when they conceded 2 late goals which cost them the game! :D

Incredible! In the leagues I referee in, not adding the time would cause mayhem!
In my game above, it was a local derby between two teams who played in the same division on Saturday and Sunday, and no love lost. The home team kicked with the strong end-to-end wind in the first half and went 1-0 up, then tried to hold it in the second by launching it as far as they could to run the clock down. If I hadn't obviously been adding time on there would have been a riot, on and off the pitch, and ambulances would have been needed! It was bad enough as it was.
Losing a relegation match to a local rival is bad enough, but losing because they kept kicking the ball away would have caused chaos. If you can't stop the clock even for serious injuries perhaps you have to play too many games.

Whilst we're fairly serious about our football here on the Mid North Coast of NSW we don't have promotion and relegation like you do in the UK. (Until you get to NPL level.) Our A-League (the highest level in Australia) is a closed franchise league like the US's MLS. Despite a fairly robust ongoing discussion to set up a proper pro/rel football pyramid and the threats of a FIFA governance takeover we are at least a decade away, if not longer, from having that implemented.

Small regional towns near where I am would have one or 2 teams whilst 'major' towns (60 000 to 80 000 person) would have half a dozen or so. There's 23 clubs in the region I'm in.

Here's a wiki article about the region. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_NSW_Football

I referee in this region: http://northcoastfootball.com.au/
Clubs in the region: http://northcoastfootball.com.au/north-coast-football-clubs/

With regards to no time added on for the matches on the weekends here it's quite possible to ref in the morning 20 - 40kms from town and then drive 60 - 80 or so kms in the afternoon to do other fixtures.

Like everywhere else there's a ref shortage here and the games have a short turnaround times between the ends of the game and the beginnings of new ones. Often referees are shuttling between fields in town or in the region so additional time added on is something they (the association) have decided won't happen because it'd be a giant mess if some games are delayed and others aren't. And to be honest because everybody knows about it it is rarely a big deal.

Time wasting can (and is) dealt with with a 'public word' or with a sanction so it's not like the players can do whatever they want but the OP was a little bit of a different situation where the player was disadvantaging his own team by kicking the blazes out of the ball hence the original query.

Last edited:
Sorry, wasn't having a dig: it's a different mind set here - players get really aggy at perceived injustices, even in unimportant matches. Last weekend I sent a player in a friendly for calling me "f****ng biased" because I hadn't given him a free kick when he wasn't fouled. His brother was moaning about me to the other team and said he's already banned for the start of the season. He thought I should have ignored it, and only dealt with it because I'm biased! I never heard that or he'd have found out how I feel about that!
In the OP there was really no offence committed, so nothing you can do, even if it was the team leading doing it. Round here that would cause major problems!

Sorry, wasn't having a dig: it's a different mind set here - players get really aggy at perceived injustices, even in unimportant matches. Last weekend I sent a player in a friendly for calling me "f****ng biased" because I hadn't given him a free kick when he wasn't fouled. His brother was moaning about me to the other team and said he's already banned for the start of the season. He thought I should have ignored it, and only dealt with it because I'm biased! I never heard that or he'd have found out how I feel about that!
In the OP there was really no offence committed, so nothing you can do, even if it was the team leading doing it. Round here that would cause major problems!

No offence taken at all. We've got mental cases here as well. I was just giving out that info for a bit of context about why there's no time added on and the distances involved, the pro / rel setup etc etc.

Did you have a bit of a look at the website? Beautiful blue skies here, 22 degrees celsius in the middle of winter.

Anyway it seems I did the right thing so that's good to know.

Did you have a bit of a look at the website? Beautiful blue skies here, 22 degrees celsius in the middle of winter.

I couldnt cope with the blisters on my feet in that heat haha

Sounds nice for a holiday though

Whilst we're fairly serious about our football here on the Mid North Coast of NSW we don't have promotion and relegation like you do in the UK. (Until you get to NPL level.) Our A-League (the highest level in Australia) is a closed franchise league like the US's MLS. Despite a fairly robust ongoing discussion to set up a proper pro/rel football pyramid and the threats of a FIFA governance takeover we are at least a decade away, if not longer, from having that implemented.

Small regional towns near where I am would have one or 2 teams whilst 'major' towns (60 000 to 80 000 person) would have half a dozen or so. There's 23 clubs in the region I'm in.

Here's a wiki article about the region. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_NSW_Football

I referee in this region: http://northcoastfootball.com.au/
Clubs in the region: http://northcoastfootball.com.au/north-coast-football-clubs/

With regards to no time added on for the matches on the weekends here it's quite possible to ref in the morning 20 - 40kms from town and then drive 60 - 80 or so kms in the afternoon to do other fixtures.

Like everywhere else there's a ref shortage here and the games have a short turnaround times between the ends of the game and the beginnings of new ones. Often referees are shuttling between fields in town or in the region so additional time added on is something they (the association) have decided won't happen because it'd be a giant mess if some games are delayed and others aren't. And to be honest because everybody knows about it it is rarely a big deal.

Time wasting can (and is) dealt with with a 'public word' or with a sanction so it's not like the players can do whatever they want but the OP was a little bit of a different situation where the player was disadvantaging his own team by kicking the blazes out of the ball hence the original query.
My thoughts are that the LOTG answer is to add time on and maybe manage the situation with a quiet word.

If you're refereeing in a competition where the LOTG has been modified to take one of those options away from you, I think the onus is on the competition to clarify what action they expect you to take instead. I think your best bet is an email asking this question, as well as the hypothetical version where a player is creating tension by doing this to disadvantage the opponents.

Back