A&H

Giving yellows

isaaclister

Hi everyone,
Been reffing about a year now and starting to do more and more older youth games so giving out more bookings than at younger ages. Feels like it takes an age to write the player's name in my notebook and show a yellow, any tips on how to speed the process up? Probably feels longer than it is in the moment but makes me more reluctant to caution keeper for timewasting for example!
Thank you!

The Referee Store
I love asking other refs what techniques they use. The one I worked with on Sunday pm just wrote down the numbers for each team and then if there was a caution would ask their name and afterwards match it against the team sheet. It was just quicker than fully completing all the names at the start.

I use write on cards. Make a note of the number, offence, time, get a name (normally just the first name). Then I check it against the team sheet at half or full time to make sure it matches. If you're not doing the full admin on the pitch, then you do need to double check before you leave in case you need to get confirmation.

Move to Australia. We have online team sheets and merely write down a player's number. If there is any argument later that is the league's problem.
Same here in the very North. Numbers only. Team’s problem with the league if there’s a team sheet issue.

You always need to get the player's name. Do no rely on team sheets.

Sometimes slowing the game down could benefit you.
Depends upon where you are and what the expectations are. In the games I do, we rely on numbers exclusively. we check in players based on player cards and check numbers before the game—no card, np play, no exceptions. (If a player or coach is sent off, we keep the card and send it in and they don’t get the card back until the suspension is served.

Out of interest, what do you do if the number you gave a card to isn't on the team sheet at all?
It is the team’s problem. The electronic match card is “locked/approved “ by the team responsible prior to kick off - so it is their duty to ensure the player numbers on the field, bench and online match.

If they get it wrong then the other team can complain to the league or we have make an additional report.

At grassroots the online match cards lock at kick off. Of course, we always remind the coach/uncle/captain to check it. Common sense here. Usually they have their long template list of players and just delete the no shows! But sometimes we look and see an empty sheet- or numbers missing - so we remind them.

We also have a code we can use to unlock the card prior to kick off if there is a late change.

This has been maybe 7-8 years now and works incredibly well.

I had one crazy edge case. Top u18 girls. Coach shouts to me as I’m about to kick off. We are talking 3 seconds to KO. By the time I’ve gone over, we are passed kick off time. He’s got a number wrong. We’re on cable TV. Common sense. I get both coaches, explain the situation, we need to kick off and we’ll get the league to correct the number later as we can’t now.

The top divisions also use the same system for live scores. So someone from the home team has an ipad, logs the goals and cards, they are live online, and we approve/edit them (and add card codes etc.) with a pin code after the match. Again, this has worked great for years.

The system is Torneopal (heavily customised), it also does our pay, marketplace to “buy/sell” matches etc. I have my whole 11 seasons of matches, pay etc… and all the player stats for every player/league etc.

Hi. I felt the same particularly the first few, but your process becomes more natural and speedy the more you develop the habit. It’s also probably not as long as you think it is. Be wary of a frustrated player moaning about the time it takes, just focus on your procedure. Have you considered trying the app REFSIX? I do all disciplinary matters in match on watch and as sad as it sounds I would set up mock matches whilst watching a live match on tv and do the procedure as players on tv were getting cautioned - just to get comfortable with the process. Now after 1 year and a few dozen cautions I don’t even think about worrying, I just do the process.

Hi. I felt the same particularly the first few, but your process becomes more natural and speedy the more you develop the habit. It’s also probably not as long as you think it is. Be wary of a frustrated player moaning about the time it takes, just focus on your procedure. Have you considered trying the app REFSIX? I do all disciplinary matters in match on watch and as sad as it sounds I would set up mock matches whilst watching a live match on tv and do the procedure as players on tv were getting cautioned - just to get comfortable with the process. Now after 1 year and a few dozen cautions I don’t even think about worrying, I just do the process.
Thanks I'm sure itll get easier as I give more! I use refsix for times and goals so will definitely practice on a match on tv with bookings!

Thanks I'm sure itll get easier as I give more! I use refsix for times and goals so will definitely practice on a match on tv with bookings!
Give it a go. I haven’t written in my match card for the best part of a year. I always have it in my top pocket in case I need to make notes for a mass brawl or I do caution someone who for whatever reason isn’t on my watch. I do everything on the watch. Even when I run line I do subs using the watch .

Out of interest, what do you do if the number you gave a card to isn't on the team sheet at all?
It is the team’s problem. The electronic match card is “locked/approved “ by the team responsible prior to kick off - so it is their duty to ensure the player numbers on the field, bench and online match.

If they get it wrong then the other team can complain to the league or we have make an additional report.

At grassroots the online match cards lock at kick off. Of course, we always remind the coach/uncle/captain to check it. Common sense here. Usually they have their long template list of players and just delete the no shows! But sometimes we look and see an empty sheet- or numbers missing - so we remind them.

We also have a code we can use to unlock the card prior to kick off if there is a late change.

This has been maybe 7-8 years now and works incredibly well.

I had one crazy edge case. Top u18 girls. Coach shouts to me as I’m about to kick off. We are talking 3 seconds to KO. By the time I’ve gone over, we are passed kick off time. He’s got a number wrong. We’re on cable TV. Common sense. I get both coaches, explain the situation, we need to kick off and we’ll get the league to correct the number later as we can’t now.

The top divisions also use the same system for live scores. So someone from the home team has an ipad, logs the goals and cards, they are live online, and we approve/edit them (and add card codes etc.) with a pin code after the match. Again, this has worked great for years.

The system is Torneopal (heavily customised), it also does our pay, marketplace to “buy/sell” matches etc. I have my whole 11 seasons of matches, pay etc… and all the player stats for every player/league etc.
A little different here. Teamsheet locks off after both managers have electronically confirmed the other side's submission. We don't start game until this is done. Sometimes causes a little delay but it's more flexible.

In terms of number not found, or obvious mismatch, it's usually a report to indicate it. But.all players have clear photos on the teamsheet. If the team has been disciplined and easy to talk to I ask who this player is. After checking against the photo I put the card against the correct player if I can verify it. I also tell them the next referee may not be so flexible. But often I am told about it either just the game starts or early in the game. I Just note it and complete the teamsheet accordingly.

Has anyone ever had a player refuse to give their name when they have the hump over receiving a caution?
I typically let call the captain over, "number 7 is refusing to give me his name". If the captain doesn't help I'll let the coach know.

If either the captain or the coach gives me their name, no issue.

If they refuse I just raise a misconduct stating that the player, the on field captain and the coach refused to give me the players name.

Had this the other week. Goalie booked early in match, was very angry and wouldn't give name. I'd booked him for AA and then as he carried on ranting about a pen decision I sin-binned him. Got his name at full time after he'd cooled down. It all evens out in the end.,...

Good idea that - I'm going to try it.

Back