A&H

Goalkeeper Injured

drahc

L3 Referee. EFL Assistant. Tutor. Observer. Coach.
Level 3 Referee
Observer/Tutor
Hi All,

I had a tricky match incident. I'll tell you what happened, see what you would do, and then tell you what I did.

Somehow the keeper becomes injured whilst the opposing team are on the counter-attack. This becomes apparent when we get closer to him, as he is still laying on the floor holding his knee (turns out he dislocated his knee, but it had popped out, then popped in again). This meant the defending team had no goalkeeper, on a promising attack by the opposition.

What would you do?

The Referee Store
You've got to stop play surely? You can carry on if his team are attacking, but it's not fair if you don't stop play.

You'd have to stop play. If you don't, you endanger the GK as he's gone down inside of the penalty area and that is exactly where play is barreling towards.

A team cannot play without a GK, so stop play.

Lets throw this out there: Imagine the same situation, but its the attacking team's GK that was injured. Could/would you play advantage?

A team cannot play without a GK, so stop play.

Lets throw this out there: Imagine the same situation, but its the attacking team's GK that was injured. Could/would you play advantage?
I'd still stop it. Much to the (possible) disagreement of the players... If the ball was taken from the attacking team, and a shot was taken that suddenly rolled it, you'd have to give it! I'd save myself the hassle and stop the game as soon as the goalkeeper is injured!

I'd stop it and if there's any queries, you point to the gk and say his health is more of a priority than your attack!

Back