A&H

Goalkeeper time wasting?

Nelson

(grass root issue) The ball goes out for a goal kick and the ball rolls some distance away. The GK walks to get ball, although clearly slowing down play, is constantly moving. Other than requesting he speed up is there anything else that can be done?

The Referee Store
Sure. A player, a sub, or a fan from the team in a hurry can help out!

I think we have to be careful about what is time wasting--a team in the lead has no obligation to move faster than the teams were when no one benefitted from delay. But if the keeper is unreasonably dawdling, then you can start to consider it delaying the restart.

I don’t know what is standard practice for grassroots over there, but here it is pretty standard to have three game balls, which helps.

Reactions: one
If you ignore you will have opposition on your back. I tell goalie if he walks after ball I will stop watch until he restarts play but if he runs after ball at a jogging pace I will keep watch ticking. It always solves the problem even though I did not intend to stop my watch.

Shout loudly to do a little jog.

Ask the coach for a new ball.

Go up and tell the keeper publicly to hurry up in future.

If it keeps happening caution.

I should add that when you chose to go to the caution can be a grey area and depends on the feeling of the game so that's up to you to read and get right.

Shout loudly to do a little jog.

Ask the coach for a new ball.

Go up and tell the keeper publicly to hurry up in future.

If it keeps happening caution.

I should add that when you chose to go to the caution can be a grey area and depends on the feeling of the game so that's up to you to read and get right.
I understand the caution would be for delaying the restart but how can you dictate what speed the ball is collected at, if the GK is moving the whole time.

I understand the caution would be for delaying the restart but how can you dictate what speed the ball is collected at, if the GK is moving the whole time.
I think this comes down to common sense and what football expects.

By that logic if there is a penalty kick and the team who has the penalty are winning, do you allow the goalkeeper to walk the entire pitch if they are letting them take it?

I think this is a grey area in law and common sense has to come in to it.

Happy for someone else to come in as that is just my opinion.

If you referee on somewhere like Hackney Marshes it can take an age to get the ball back. If an attacker has missed his shot and it is now the length of the next pitch away there is an argument to say why should it be down to the keeper to get it back? He didn't take or miss the shot after all ..!

You need to use common sense. If the team losing are so worried about the time being lost they can go an get the ball themselves.

I have no expectation from the keeper or anyone from the winning team to collect the ball if it is off the FOP and a 'long' distance away. If the losing team want a quick restart they can fetch it. However once the keeper (or a team mate) starts going to get it, I expect a 'normal' speed, as if it was in the first minute of the game and scores are level. You can tell if they are deliberately slowing it down.

On a side note, if the ball stays on the field of play or close to it (say 5 yards or a little longer), I expect the restarting team to get it.

This is where your man managment skills, reading of the big picture, and, common sense come in
The absolute bottom line if we are being factual is, he does not have to go and get the ball at all !

Can we shout a second ball on?
can a sub, coach, player go get it?
if its that much of a rush, the opponent can go get it

unless its the clearest extraction of urine, in the op, am fine letting the gk carry on, when he returms to the fop, a ' thanks keeper' acts in two ways, a thanks for getting the ball, and, a, thanks lets go
Any grumbles around when gk on hs travels, ' its ok guys, i got the time'

with the disclaimer of unless its obviously disruptive, or repeated, there could be dog poo, a fence, nettles, broken glass, couple of wasps, swamp, anything could slow down the gk retrival on top of his own actions

Last edited:
Back